Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi guys,
I'm Marc, although my username scopey is what everyone has called me since I was 18.
New to the forum, posted an intro in the introductions section - i'm ex army ,now a police officer and just love anything to do with the outdoors. Im currently finishing my ML course so up in the mountains as much as I can,also big into mountain biking,trail running and just getting out in the forest - often with my dog, an Alaskan Malamute called Dakota.
I live in Brandon and my house backs out onto the forest , so still Suffolk but maybe a bit of distance from the rest of you guys - you all Ipswich way?
Anyway if there is room for one more i'm game - more into the outdoors/wilderness survival side of bushcraft with its practical applications than any arty carving stuff etc.
Getting away at weekends can be hard as a shift worker but be good to get out and make new mates!

Hi Marc welcome, good to hear from another new member, hopefully be getting a regular group to go out and play in the woods, your welcome to join Tony and I anytime, at the mo we normaly stay local mainly due to we are in IPswich, as you can probley see from prevoius posts we are off to visit the sussex lot at the end of the month,

Hi Stu

And hello and welcome to the new members of the Suffolk group, good to have you on board.
Stu I am good for 11th. where and when? PM me or text m8.
Stu I need to repair my tarp what sowing thread would you recommend?

Reg
Rum

Hi Tony,

Oh of course your loop has pulled through a bit, I forgot that, I normaly sew with normal poltester thread , it will not rot, and is as good as any other, have you got a machine?. if not pop over one night and we can run it through mine.

all good for the 11th then... :) , I can meet you at yours same 6pm thats no problem.

If you want to come with us Roman or Scopy let us know, and we can arrange a meeting place, as we are not sure we exactly we will be....

Last edited:

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Stu,
Thanks for the welcome, yes read through all 9 pages, saw about you Sussex meet- sadly no go for me , am working the weekend and the 11,12th is Wife's birthday so going away. Am off the week starting Monday the 7th, hopping to get away to Brecon for a few days out on the mountains and sleeping down in the woods- got a lovely spot by a waterfall :)
Hopefully will be able to catch up with you guys soon!

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu,
Thanks for the welcome, yes read through all 9 pages, saw about you Sussex meet- sadly no go for me , am working the weekend and the 11,12th is Wife's birthday so going away. Am off the week starting Monday the 7th, hopping to get away to Brecon for a few days out on the mountains and sleeping down in the woods- got a lovely spot by a waterfall :)
Hopefully will be able to catch up with you guys soon!

No problem, I was hoping to get along to see the guys in teh Norfok group on the 12th but due to my little ones birthday I cant make it , but out like to get out one time before the sussex meet, so the next best date was the 11th, no doubt there will be a weekender some time beginig of June, if you know of somewere that may be worth a look then pop a date for a meet on here.

Not been to the brecons for years, went to Mid Wales last Nove to do a bit of off roading, for a long weekend but that was staying in a lodge, looking to may be sept time doing a few days north to south wales off road and wild camping.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi All

Wales the place of big mountains and horizontal rain, love it. I loved climbing in North Wales there is something about siting on a bolder watching birds fly beneath you.
Gods country I think.

Reg Rum

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Yeah spent far too much of my life living in the outdoors in Brecon and surrounding areas - know it VERY well thanks to the army... And spent at least one weekend a month in snowdonia during 2009 on the build up to an unsupported trek to Everest basecamp.
Looking forward to getting away for a few days away:)

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Stu no mater how meany times you say it, the susasage thing don't sound right LMAO
And what is Stu motto relating to susasage answer on a post card lol

Reg
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Stu no mater how meany times you say it, the susasage thing don't sound right LMAO
And what is Stu motto relating to susasage answer on a post card lol

Reg
Rum

LOL... at least it causes a laugh.... and your only stiring with your POOOOON.....

Carved out the bowl on it now, looks more like a spoon.... yes got me crooked knife...

You see that its leather craft at Sussex this month?... better get my knife done quick........

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi All

Is anyone up for an over night next week, Stu and I are having an overnight from Friday to Saturday 11 to 12.
The weather is getting milder and if you are short a bit of kit I am sure between Stu and I, we can help out.

P.S

Stu
I am going to pick up the Dutch oven next week. So stew and Banerck Friday

Reg
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi All

Is anyone up for an over night next week, Stu and I are having an overnight from Friday to Saturday 11 to 12.
The weather is getting milder and if you are short a bit of kit I am sure between Stu and I, we can help out.

P.S

Stu
I am going to pick up the Dutch oven next week. So stew and Banerck Friday

Reg
Rum

mmmmmm sounds good, I am making the grill on sunday so we should be sorted for cooking, thinking about putting a small ammo box on the end so to have an oven type thing as well...mmmmmm, throw in a couple of chilli/herb dumplings as well...... cant wait till next friday night when i leave work...

We will have to sort how we doing the grub... mmmmm

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

I hope you don't mind re the kit thing, I just thought if anyone was wanting to come out but did not have all their kit together.
Stu are u bring your Pooon lol

Reg
Rum

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi Stu

I hope you don't mind re the kit thing, I just thought if anyone was wanting to come out but did not have all their kit together.
Stu are u bring your Pooon lol

Reg
Rum

YEah thats ok ,

I will prob bring my pooooon

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Next Friday. Looks good for me. Would I be okay with the underquilt or would it be better to get a Thermarest? Being ex army I have always lived on the floor but now the back says no! , if the car can be parked close by then weight is no problem. I have a hobo stove (ikea design) and mess tins but I was thinking of getting a honey stove, has anyone tried one?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Next Friday. Looks good for me. Would I be okay with the underquilt or would it be better to get a Thermarest? Being ex army I have always lived on the floor but now the back says no! , if the car can be parked close by then weight is no problem. I have a hobo stove (ikea design) and mess tins but I was thinking of getting a honey stove, has anyone tried one?

thats great, bee good to meet you, at the mo, we are meeting around tonys in ipswich @6pm, we normaly take my disco, and the walk in is about 100yards if that. Underquilt will be fine i used a thin one a couple of weeks ao no prob. Hobo stove is ok, we will use a fire on friday night, then you just needd soomthing to cook breakfast on on the sat.

I know tonys getting a dutch oven next week so we are having stew and dumps from that.... Mmmmmmm, i am making a grill tomoz for over ther fire.

I have never used a honey stove but they are ment to be good.

I have also txt kimboko to let him know we are out nex friday.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Made myself the Grill/hotplate today, just a bodge prototype, find out the right size and see it it work to my likeing?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Hi Folks

Thanks for the TXT Stu. Sorry I have been a bit out of touch but I got myself a motorbike and have been playing around with that and repairing my daughters car.
Where are you staying Friday Night?
Nick

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
HI Nick,

Good to see you back,
Tony and I were chatting about you the other weekend, we found a some new clearings in the bit opposite the trip you came on, bit more secluded as well.

Its getting out and means Tony can try his new Dutch oven, I can try my prototype grill, and Roman can say hi and can try his kit before the Sussex Meet at the end of the month.

I am meeting Tony at his on Friday at 6pm.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I had a great night out with the Suffolk Group yesterday in a local forest. My first time out camping in the wilderness in 15 years. Its great to get back to simplicity. The guys, Stu and Tony were easy to get along with and showed me lots of tips and tricks with hammock camping. Tony made an awesome stew in his new dutch oven and topped with Stu's dumplings we were soon satisfied. Stu's new diy hotplate worked well and kept the kettle boiling well into the night. Overall a great night out to test my kit, adjust and modify it and see what to take in future. Now looking forward to Sussex meet at the end of the month. To anyone thinking of joining but perhaps a bit nervous, don't be, we are all helpful and easygoing.

Sent using Tapatalk

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
IMG-20120511-00146.jpg relax and enjoyIMG-20120511-00148.jpgthe prep for the stewIMG-20120511-00148.jpgready to go onIMG-20120511-00149.jpgStu;s griddle doing the job wellIMG-20120511-00150.jpgthe smell was gorgeousIMG-20120512-00151.jpgthe view from my bed,Stu has the kettle onIMG-20120512-00152.jpgbreakfast onIMG-20120512-00153.jpga nice setup

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE