Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hello all -- I've posted a public introduction & I thought I'd post a local introduction too... I'm Tim from Bury St. Edmunds. I like to cycle & walk. I don't drive. My family situation means I can't spend any nights away from home at the moment.

I've skimmed through the thread and looked at the pics' -- Looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing you lot in action.

Among the things I'd like to learn is how to set-up my dutch army poncho as a tarp. Knots (the only knot I really understand is the thumb knot, and I'm not totally sure about that one!). Caring for sharps would also be handy. And keeping pots & pans / eating utensils clean over multi-night trips.

Tim

Welcome to the thread, most of the time we are over Ipswich way as Tony (Rumcelt) and I live that way, we are yet to get more then two of us at a meet, so have been using local to us, we were going over to Thetford for the weekend as I was not seeing the kids on the 15th but decided not to in the end, and went to Rendelsham area. we found it just about right for lightthe a mount left and let us set up with out rushing, after work

Next month we will be going down to the sussex mob to visit them but hopefuly get another night out before then.

I dont know about action..... but hey its time out, and something to do, while having a go at new things, as far as trying new knots just look them up o the tinternet and have a go i just use what i feel at the time.

I use a 3m x 3m DD Tarp and a DD travel Hamock, with a homemade Underquilt at the mo, but will be upsizzing to a XL tarp from DD befor long, as i find the smaller on too small for what i want, it works but hey you can always have more toys, lol.

I am just about to make a camp grill , hlafway through a kife, and going to make some whoppie slings for my hammock soon, hopefully picking up the dyneema this week. so there is loads for you to do off site of a camp as well.

Last edited:
Hi again all. Shame non of you guys made it to the field archery event last Sunday I posted.
It was a really good day, with over 100 people turning up, and a short but very intense shower of hail.
Yours truly in action on the bear....

295213_423861927641541_114734198554317_1511273_659938338_n.jpg

Anyone interested in coming along another time can check here...

http://www.whitefriarsbowmen.co.uk/

or here...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitefriars-Bowmen/114734198554317

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi again all. Shame non of you guys made it to the field archery event last Sunday I posted.
It was a really good day, with over 100 people turning up, and a short but very intense shower of hail.
Yours truly in action on the bear....
Anyone interested in coming along another time can check here...

http://www.whitefriarsbowmen.co.uk/

or here...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whitefriars-Bowmen/114734198554317

Yeah I sorry I could not come, I was on a First Aid course with Rover Rescue on sunday, I would of love to have done it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tony,

I have just added our names to the sussex meet for the 25th/26/27th May,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89920

I Have deff got the Friday off work so can do both days, should take about 1hr 1/2 hrs to two hrs to get ther it looks like you can turn up early, would be good to get the quite early on Friday pm and get set up ect.

the cost of the site is £4.92 per 24 hrs but hey its a weekend away. so if we get there about 2 pm, on friday and leave about 2pm on the sunday should give us pleanty of time to chill, and enjoy the activites..... must remember some cans this time, lol.

Heres their link

http://www.broadstonewarren.org.uk/

now just got to wait a month, lol.....and got to remmeber to take all my off road kit out the Disco to fit more kit in........dont forget your seat this time....

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am interested, were is it being held, Its my girls, birthday the week before so I may have to have a party to go to...... but i'll find out and let you know.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It's near Norwich. Most meet at the park and ride just before the A47 ;)

Just looked there looks like ther is about 1/2 dozzen of them ,lol

I'll find out whats happening that weekend and if little one wants here dad at her party, she's 10 going on 96... lol

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
I use a 3m x 3m DD Tarp and a DD travel Hamock, with a homemade Underquilt at the mo, but will be upsizzing to a XL tarp from DD befor long, as i find the smaller on too small for what i want, it works but hey you can always have more toys, lol.

im interested to see the underquilt, i also have thoughts....... i was going to say plans but aint quite got that far yet lol to make one

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Hi all, I have been following the threads for a few weeks, I have a DD tarp and Frontier hammock with loads of my old army bits and bobs, just not manger to get out yet. Big Stu and Rumcelt I would like to meet up as I live in Colchester, I think I will join you at Sussex meet, but it would be good to test my kit out before hand if you are doing anything at weekends.
I am also a landy fan, sold my modded Disco 300tdi before Xmas, hoping to get a 90 soon, was a member of Essex Landover club but that expired.
Hope to meet up soon.
Paul

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi all, I have been following the threads for a few weeks, I have a DD tarp and Frontier hammock with loads of my old army bits and bobs, just not manger to get out yet. Big Stu and Rumcelt I would like to meet up as I live in Colchester, I think I will join you at Sussex meet, but it would be good to test my kit out before hand if you are doing anything at weekends.
I am also a landy fan, sold my modded Disco 300tdi before Xmas, hoping to get a 90 soon, was a member of Essex Landover club but that expired.
Hope to meet up soon.
Paul

Hi Roman,

It would be good to meet up with you before the Sussex meet, Tony (Rumcelt) have spoken about another meet before the sussex one, I was going to suggest a one nighter to him , maybe Fri 11th May at our normal area, prob at a different spot tho, as we move around. Better got to teh workshop to make that grill, lol

was going to go upto norwich meet but now cant make it as little one wants to go to her party on the 12th.....

Tony will be by soon to say yeah or nay...

I got a 300tdi, lifted, snorkel, breathers, EGR'd, Cat'd, few other bits, and it does me well, as well as being a good bus for doing the busy thing, I am a member of Suffolk Landrover Owners Club.

As far as Sussex is concerned we are going on the Friday morn to make the most of it, lol.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
im interested to see the underquilt, i also have thoughts....... i was going to say plans but aint quite got that far yet lol to make one

I just finished it, just got to test it, lol, and get round to taking some pics, I was going to make one from scratch but thought may be a summer sleeping bag and mod it, as it'll have more use that way,.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
more or less the same, two lops at each end , the made sure there was not an opening at each end by putting a cord on each end to gather it up, this should stop any air trapped between the bag and the hammock getting out.

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Hi guys,
I'm Marc, although my username scopey is what everyone has called me since I was 18.
New to the forum, posted an intro in the introductions section - i'm ex army ,now a police officer and just love anything to do with the outdoors. Im currently finishing my ML course so up in the mountains as much as I can,also big into mountain biking,trail running and just getting out in the forest - often with my dog, an Alaskan Malamute called Dakota.
I live in Brandon and my house backs out onto the forest , so still Suffolk but maybe a bit of distance from the rest of you guys - you all Ipswich way?
Anyway if there is room for one more i'm game - more into the outdoors/wilderness survival side of bushcraft with its practical applications than any arty carving stuff etc.
Getting away at weekends can be hard as a shift worker but be good to get out and make new mates!

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Stu

And hello and welcome to the new members of the Suffolk group, good to have you on board.
Stu I am good for 11th. where and when? PM me or text m8.
Stu I need to repair my tarp what sowing thread would you recommend?

Reg
Rum

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Scopey

Being an ex-climber myself, I think anyone who can complete the ML course already knows quite a bit about survival training and can probably show us one or two things.
I look forward to exchanging info.

Reg
Rum

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Roman-Soldier

Just something to add into the mix, under quilt's do have there uses but they do add bulk to your kit?
When it gets cold and my definition of cold is anything below 1 or 2 degrees C. I will use a thermo rest and a self inflating thermo and go to ground and drop my tarp as low as possible this reduces windchill factor, just a thought.

Reg
Rum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE