Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just tried a bacon a bean recipe from the one of the sites I have seen, but cooked in the oven, would be a nice dutch oven meal, may try it in a billy this weekend :)

Soaked some Haricot beans while i was at work, boiled them until softish, then put in a small casserole wit some onion, Bacon, added some mustard, some salt and pepper, then a spoon of molasses.. toped up with water, cooked in the oven for about 2 1/2 hrs top up water as required, and this is what I ended up with..

DSC_0044.jpg

Quite tasty and filling, I did put in too much mustard and pepper.. son next time I will put less in.... yes a nice little dish :)

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Nice.

That sounds a worthwhile try. What's not to like :)

Just tried a bacon a bean recipe from the one of the sites I have seen, but cooked in the oven, would be a nice dutch oven meal, may try it in a billy this weekend :)

Soaked some Haricot beans while i was at work, boiled them until softish, then put in a small casserole wit some onion, Bacon, added some mustard, some salt and pepper, then a spoon of molasses.. toped up with water, cooked in the oven for about 2 1/2 hrs top up water as required, and this is what I ended up with..

View attachment 20874

Quite tasty and filling, I did put in too much mustard and pepper.. son next time I will put less in.... yes a nice little dish :)

Nice mod. Rounding it and fitting the spacer really improves the look and personally on the ones I've done I prefer the spacer too as its better in the hand.

Well I have just done a quick fix... now the Svord feels a dam sight better in the hand and the scales now sit nice and ridged, the tip of the scales have been rounded, and the edges evened up and rounded off.. its just made a nice kinfe even better :)

View attachment 20832View attachment 20833

Just got the Sheath for it to do now :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah it was tasty, I will do it again but with less mustard...... lol and a bit less pepper.. but the taste was good,

I am thinking about a belt one, at the mo.. but not sure.... may do one based on a dangler, so I can use it as a neck one if it want as well,

Yeah the fillet has made a world of difference to the feel of the knife, I like the simplicity of it, and being rounded off it feels better in the hand, now i done that I may just use a bit of the cheery I've got and make some really nice scales, I cant decide.. will that take away the simplicity that I like of it....

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
now i done that I may just use a bit of the cheery I've got and make some really nice scales, I cant decide.. will that take away the simplicity that I like of it....

No :)

Makes it your own and makes it unique. You have the skills so why not? :)

Easiest option is to copy style. I keep the original friction screw at the pivot as that works well. I replace the bottom one with pins. If you are getting some mosaic for the hawk, that would look tops and would tie the two together.

I need to sort some mosaic pins some time too.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
No :)

Makes it your own and makes it unique. You have the skills so why not? :)

Easiest option is to copy style. I keep the original friction screw at the pivot as that works well. I replace the bottom one with pins. If you are getting some mosaic for the hawk, that would look tops and would tie the two together.

I need to sort some mosaic pins some time too.

I did wonder about the using the pins in the Svord.. i like the idea of matching all my keepers now I come to rethink.. :)..

Thank you for the vote of confidence... :)

May I (humbly) suggest the pocket style one similar to one i made?
Easily adapted to neck carry

ermmm now you given me more to think about...!!!! its Sam's fault... :lmao:

I was thinking about trying to make it match the Tomahawk Mask in some way... I like the wooden toggle idea

Saying that I should of made the Knife tie in with both more... maybe I can adjust the sheath a bit, and drill out the brass tube and put in a mosaic pin.... I got some more cherry ... wonder if cherry would make a hawk helve.... then they would be pulled togther totlay...

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I'm cheating and using artificial sinew. ....
Should be centre seamed to be boone time period but I intend t use em for more than just that weekend so want something I like look of.

And really not have time? You're like the more prolific project maker I know man! Or you running out of steam?

Thats my feeling I want somthing light around the camp, so mine will be used more then just boonie... for the next few days I'll slow down as we got teh Monlty meet ths weekend, two nights in a suffolk woodland :)... may make a spoon or something tho.. lol. then its a couple more calico bages for storage, may have a quick look for some thighter weave cotton, so I can use them for flour with out a loss..

I got hold of 5 nice flat bottomed test tubes with corks to start to put together a spice/herb kit, not sure if a tin would be nice for them or a nice wet formed pouch they ar about 1/2" diameter and about 1 1/2 " long...

Think after my sucess of the transfer I may put a triditional lable of all my Bags for stuff like the flour ect.

One thing I do want is a nice wide brim felt hat..... it jsut make a change from the Barbour..

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thats my feeling I want somthing light around the camp, so mine will be used more then just boonie... for the next few days I'll slow down as we got teh Monlty meet ths weekend, two nights in a suffolk woodland :)... may make a spoon or something tho.. lol. then its a couple more calico bages for storage, may have a quick look for some thighter weave cotton, so I can use them for flour with out a loss..

I got hold of 5 nice flat bottomed test tubes with corks to start to put together a spice/herb kit, not sure if a tin would be nice for them or a nice wet formed pouch they ar about 1/2" diameter and about 1 1/2 " long...

Think after my sucess of the transfer I may put a triditional lable of all my Bags for stuff like the flour ect.

One thing I do want is a nice wide brim felt hat..... it jsut make a change from the Barbour..

Ok, even if the challenge gets opened up I not going :( :eek: :p

I'm so far out of your classes. I'm getting an inferiority complex :lmao:

Seriously. Great work so far. Keep the pics coming. I need to ogle more kit and fight the inner demon wanting it :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ok, even if the challenge gets opened up I not going :( :eek: :p

I'm so far out of your classes. I'm getting an inferiority complex :lmao:

Seriously. Great work so far. Keep the pics coming. I need to ogle more kit and fight the inner demon wanting it :)

You know you really want to and from what i've seen your handy work is just as good :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
You know you really want to and from what i've seen your handy work is just as good :)

Cheers fella.

Sadly yeh. Very keen to try this out. Don't get many options to camp and this Boone challenge of Sam's is so infectious. Doing the weekly shop last week - oow, corn meal, have that. Dried split yellow peas, get them. Its terrible how it pulls you in.

Not go my kit sorted yet and some stuff will have to be a compromise as I'll struggle to rustle all the period stuff I'd like.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Morning all. Just bought a canvas patrol tent. I will be picking it up at the moot next week.

P1040225.jpg

I'm thinking it can be made into a nice Baker style tent, which would be ideal for the challenge.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Morning all. Just bought a canvas patrol tent. I will be picking it up at the moot next week.
I'm thinking it can be made into a nice Baker style tent, which would be ideal for the challenge.

Nice tent there Colin... nice for the winter, I've thought about one for the colder times.... not sure if I would like to hump one about during the Boone... they are heavy canvas... still nice for a baker tent tho :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just got back from The Suffolk meet, I spent the time carrying on my Boone Trail and used all the gear that I will be using for the Challenge...

I took my Czech Bed roll and a spare blanket to sleep under my two Eastern German Ponchos, the food I used my New food Quiver, and the new Haversack came into use with the rest of the bits.

DSC_0046.jpg

For food I had:
Friday night I had a Bacon stew made with carrots, onion, mushrooms and potatoes with flour, mixed herbs and stock to thicken, with a Plain Bannock.

Sat breakfast I made three Pancakes, made with Medium ground Corm Meal, egg, milk, salt and some mustard, the first one was a bit bland, so added a hand full of raisins, this tasted good..

Lunch I had a some dried apples, and some other dried fruits,

For tea I had a large portion of the beans that I made earlier on in the thread, with some Bannock... followed but some Freshly made Pop Corn that I flavored with Molasses and five spice.. mmmm that was nice.

Sunday Morning was the Corn pancakes again, but with some left over bacon from a Bacon Joint that I had roasted at home...

as far as drinks goes I drunk Coffee sweetened with Molasses, which was quite nice :).. all in all the food worked out well, and was tasty and filling.

During the day I also snacked on dried, Apple, Cranberry's, Raisins, and apricots

The Spice test tubes worked well, and were just enough for the two days :)

Most of my lighting was done by candle, ad water wise I only used about 3 ltrs a day, which did surprise me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE