Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I ve seen the same sort of thing but its a longer roll and worn over the shoulder and across the body.. just like a Banderlier

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
It could be made as long as you like, depending on what you're packing and how you roll the pack.

"Throughout history, a blanket roll was a pretty common way to carry basic sleeping gear and a few extra items. Soldiers, explorers, mountain men and frontiersmen of many eras carried 'em. They show up quite often in historical photos like the one on the right, of a Confederate soldier in the Civil War. The bedroll not only frees up room in his pack and distributes weight across his body, but it allows him to ditch the pack if needed and still have basic covering/shelter and whatever else he has tucked inside."

blanket roll.jpg

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Yeah From what I read, they found it a better way of carrying their kit then in there rucksack type kit that was issued to the soldiers, it seems a good way to carry the kit, my only thought is all the kit tends to be in one place if you want anything then it has to be unrolled, and of course in the rain then it gets wet inside, as does your bedding, saying that it them must have worked for them as there are so many images and references to them :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just finished my Hawk...

DSC_0037.jpg

And for those that did not see my knife

DSC_0029.jpg

So just got my Svord Peasant knife to mod, make a sheath for and that's my sharps done :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Been a bit bored this afternoon...lol

so came up with this.. :).. OK lion coffe was founded in 1860 something

DSC_0041.jpg

Not used the stuff for ages, so its a bit messy... used it before on kits to transfer images on to them...

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very busy it would appear. You put the rest of us to shame :)

Love the transfer. But the job on the tomahawk is great. Love the head stripped back.

Can I ask - I've seen several hawks with a leather sleeve near the head. What's the purpose?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Very busy it would appear. You put the rest of us to shame :)

Love the transfer. But the job on the tomahawk is great. Love the head stripped back.

Can I ask - I've seen several hawks with a leather sleeve near the head. What's the purpose?

Thank you, its to protect the helve primarly from miss chops, well, thats what I think, lol, :).. I do like the look of it, so put one on, it will still slip off and on so I can still take the head off for packing.

What's the plans for the svord mod Stu?

I would liek to re-scale it, but cant decide what with at the mo, so just going to keep it standard, but in fill the gap on the back, I dont like how the scales just float (think anyone with a svord will know what I mean), at a latter date, I will make the grip bigger, and maybe have a play with a couple of ideas I got.

I dont want to change it to much as I like the general look of it, and the way it is made a nice honest tool that does it job with no bells whistles, and bull like a lot of others...

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Well I have just done a quick fix... now the Svord feels a dam sight better in the hand and the scales now sit nice and ridged, the tip of the scales have been rounded, and the edges evened up and rounded off.. its just made a nice kinfe even better :)

DSC_0042.jpgDSC_0043.jpg

Just got the Sheath for it to do now :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE