Stump advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grom

Dec 18, 2011
Ipswich
Hey up folks, new here and looking for a wee bit of advice if possible!

Decided i want to try some carving and what not with wood so recently got myself a small forest axe from gransfors, and some carving knives.

Figured I would need a stump in my garden to make life a bit easier and safer. Hauled one that I noticed on my travels the other day about 1/2 a mile back to the car (Must of weighed about 60kg at least) But just after some advice on whats good wood wise and type to use for one!

I think what I have might be an oak, not sure how long its been sat in the ditch I found it in, but are there any ways of ensuring its going to last and such?

Just any advice on general on wood carving blocks would be appreciated!

Regards, Nick.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
If you got your stump for free then just use it, don't worry about what makes the best wood for chopping blocks. It may be that in time some cracks may form as the stump dries out, but these should not be too much of a problem. If you can keep your chopping block under cover (not tightly covered, this may cause rot to form) and well ventilated then it should last OK. If it is oak then it will be very durable indeed.

Hope this helps.

Grom

Dec 18, 2011
Ipswich
Fair play, So just chuck a bit of tarp or something loosely over the top then?

And aye picked it up for free, so guess worst come to worse il go grab another (with the aid of a wheel barrow!)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi grom, as Muddypaws says store it under cover an reasonably ventilated. I got a stump from a local woodsman to use as a choping block I unfortunately through ignorance left it outside against the back wall of my shed as the shed is fairly full already, Result was a wet soggy stump covered in fungi but none of the kind I am interested in. If you have a shed or a garage I would definitely keep it in there A tarp or other waterproof.cover may work, Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE