Street Gate to Arncliffe loop - Yorkshire Dales

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a free day to myself today so I was up early enough to make a decision on what to do. It was a bit too gusty for paddling in The Lakes so I packed a day sack and headed for the hills.
The weather was a bit mixed at home with strong north easterlies blowing about so I wasn't too sure what to wear, in the end I layered up in wool and stuck my ventile in my pack. I was so glad I packed it as once I got up on the fell tops I was right in the teeth of the wind with not much shelter for my route.

The pics aren't great sorry, but it was a day out so thought I'd share. For some reason I struggle to get decent snaps of the hills. They're all a bit samey.

So about 10:00 I arrived at Street Gate, just a couple of miles north of Malham village. I picked up the nearby path north west which would lead me to Malham Tarn.
DSC01715.jpg

Just before reaching the field centre I broke away from the nice shale path and took off up into the hills proper.
DSC01716.jpg

DSC01717.jpg

Passing a small derelict farm stead I snaffled a few dry sticks to use in my stove later. Trees are few and far between up on the high moors.

After about four miles I stopped for a brew behind a limestone ledge.
DSC01718.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

And then it was time to have a play with my new toy ...
DSC01721.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

Bish bash bosh, one minute later and I have this ...
DSC01723.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

DSC01725.jpg

I took a piccy of the inside but there's a grass hump in the middle, it's huge in there though ..
DSC01726.jpg

So I continued on along the Monks Road ..
DSC01727.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

After a couple more miles I dropped down into the village of Arncliffe, a beautiful little village with a handful of houses, a green and a pub, perfect. I had a quick half and I was off again, seemed rude not to stop.

I then picked up the River Skirfare for a mile or so as it meandered its way along the valley bottom.
DSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

They must get some serious floods down here looking at the state of the banks, not today though :) The exposed banks were home to loads of what I thought were Sand Martins, I could be wrong though.
DSC01741.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

Lots of these weird white fluffy things in the valley
DSC01737.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

Then it was time to head south west and make my way back up onto the fells again. A pretty entrance to the bridleway ..
DSC01742.jpg

Then I climbed ...
DSC01743.jpg

and climbed ...
DSC01744.jpg

and climbed ...
DSC01746.jpg

After following the path up onto High Cote things levelled out again and I had a nice steady remaining three or so miles to go.

I passed this but I'm not sure what it's for ?
DSC01745.jpg

Not much left of this guy
DSC01748.jpg

A very enjoyable day, didn't speak to anyone all day (apart from the barmaid) and covered around fourteen miles in six hours.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Picked a good day for a great walk, thanks for sharing

Lovely scenery there Shewie, looks like a good long walk :)

Cheers,

Cheers lads, it was nice to be in a big open space for change, the 30mph gusts certainly blew the cobwebs away.

I'm feeling it now though

Great pics Rich, fancy terra nova how was it .... what a beautiful area to walk .. thanks for sharing

First impressions are good Gaz, I had a lie in it but didn't stop in there long. I just wanted to see how quick it went up in crappy weather :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Good stuff Rich, very nice bivi,and love the first river shot,its hard sometimes to beat old Blighty for scenery,oh and those white fluffy things they are cloud dog's(i once went camping with a lad who'd never been out of the city,he on seeing a sheep asked what it was,and thats what i told him,and he believed me)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
You get out and about abit Rich dont you.......:D
Great pictures with some wonderfull views and looks like you had a great day out.Really like the picture with the water and the land thats fallen away.
thanks for sharing mate,,

And the photograph are grand.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yup, a kiln. Fire in the bottom, crushed limestone on top. Heat it up to drive off the water of crystalization in the limestone I believe. That produces lime or quick lime I think it's called.
There is a better one on a path up, out of Hawes. Think it's on the path reached by turning left out of the carpark then right up a road. Bit of an uphill, stony track and you'll reach it. There's also a tree that makes a loop you can stoop under. Some tradition locally about good luck or fertility if you pass through the tree.

Nice trip report. Nice photos.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely trip. Thanks for sharing.

You have some serious leafage on those trees. I'm surprised, since South East Wales has nothing like that. The horse chestnuts at work have not started to open at all yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE