Strangest thing you've ever eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Strange to me?
-Steak & kidney pie
-An unknown substance in Saudi that the menu just labeled "meat"

Starnge to ya'll?
-Chitterlings (pronounced chit-lins) Pig intestine that's usually fried but sometimes boiled
-Alligator tail
-Turtle soup
-Brains & eggs (eggs scrambled with hog brains)
-Pickled pigs' feet

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I ate an earwig on Saturday. Not on purpose it was hiding in my asthma inhaler and got shot down my throat. Nearly choked does this count?

Regards chris

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I ate an earwig on Saturday. Not on purpose it was hiding in my asthma inhaler and got shot down my throat. Nearly choked does this count?

Regards chris

i dread to think how many bugs i've inhaled in exactly the same way, until i was 13 i thought that salbutamol came chitin flavoured!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Oh that's so true ! It our own fualt for always loosing the cap first time out the box.

luckily it's not something i have to worry about too much these days, but you're right. i have an inhaler once a year now just in case hay fever hits me hard in the spring, and i aways lose the thing before it runs out, but still, the first thing i do whenj i get a new one is throw away the cap :)

cheers

stuart

xylaria

I have got down the the bottom of bowl of fairy ring champigion soup and bottom was mostly maggots. I was 8 months pregnant at the time, my daughter decided to kick the soup straight back.

I have eaten woodlice, worms, dodgy "chicken" that was the same lenght as a cat femer, mealworms, pig brains, trotters, sweetbreads [cow pancreus i think], lamb frys [ram balls], snails both garden and sandhill. I have never eaten slugs, always presumed they would be really gross.

Bare in mind molluscs especially land based snails and slugs are major disease vectors.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've had pickled slugs in the past. They were ok, but I wouldn't rush to make more.

Also dried mealworms from bird-food (just because).

I've inhaled a fair quantity of spiders in my time, but if it is the worst tasting thing ever, then a green leaf beetle that had time to let its 'taste bad & repel predators' chemicals go. I wasn't intending to eat it, but it got inhaled. About 3 litres of water later and my mouth still tasted like I'd just had a carrion sandwich. :yuck:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My ex-wifes cooking (sorry, I'll get my coat) ..................

My mum is the inventor of 'potato slump', which is potatoes that are peeled and then boiled until they lose structural integrity as well as flavour. Serve with anything you like, as they contribute absolutely nothing to the meal.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I have a tin of dried ghost chili's. They are probably the worst thing I've eaten.
Chiseller from this fold also tried one, from his reaction I don't think it went down well. Nor did the altoid straight after which just fanned the flames.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Up on Dartmoor one year with a filipino we were introduced to eating fishes eyes, a delicacy in the Philipines and the best part of the fish, so loaded with everything we need. But an unusual experience, a bit like large caviar as you chase it around your mouth with your tongue.

Other than that Swedish Surstrommng which is fermented baltic herring, what it does to the can should be enough to keep clear, and I will next time a can of that rolls out.;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

Surv:vor

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 14, 2012
England
Alligator at a restaurant which I recall I very much enjoyed. Ostrich steaks at a friends house which were pretty good. Rattlesnake in Overton nr Las Vegas that was stringy. Baked pike fresh from a Devon river that tasted fairly bland. Oh, and I ate a wood lice once by accident though apparently these are edible?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE