Strangest thing you've ever eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Oh and to add perhaps sheepishly, recently I ate 4 mohler sulphuric acid soaked bread, I had a pickle bath on my kitchen counter and unknown to me it had leaked onto the work top and I didn't know but made a butty on the work top, everything was fine until I noticed a tangy taste and then oh crap this tastes like battery acid and off I charge into the kitchen for a good quantity of milk, that sorted it out. But later there was a knife that had been in the leakage, wow, such etching into the stainless steel, that knife is now a paint stirrer.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
i dread to think how many bugs i've inhaled in exactly the same way, until i was 13 i thought that salbutamol came chitin flavoured!

You do realise that according to statistics put together by "statistics people" that everybody swallows an average of 4 or 5 live spiders during their lifetime while they sleep.... I have absolutely NO idea how they came to this conclusion..... :confused:

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Up on Dartmoor one year with a filipino we were introduced to eating fishes eyes, a delicacy in the Philipines and the best part of the fish, so loaded with everything we need. But an unusual experience, a bit like large caviar as you chase it around your mouth with your tonguehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

If you've been to the Phillippines, you'll know that they sell deep-fried chicken heads on the street - eaten on a stick like a lollipop...
Fertilised chicken eggs are also sold for consumption in the same places.... and seem to be enjoyed by the locals, although I declined... :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you've been to the Phillippines....Fertilised chicken eggs are also sold for consumption in the same places.... and seem to be enjoyed by the locals, although I declined... :rolleyes:

Actually IIRC they're duck eggs. That's the "balut" I asked about in post 39. They're common in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos as well.

pics: www.picsearch.com/pictures/toys/Dice games/Balut.html

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You do realise that according to statistics put together by "statistics people" that everybody swallows an average of 4 or 5 live spiders during their lifetime while they sleep.... I have absolutely NO idea how they came to this conclusion..... :confused:

I do.

They just made it up.

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
I lived in deepest darkest China for a couple of years...plenty items put in front of me which I have absolutely no idea where they came from (but munched them anyway for sake of causing embarrassment). Some of the most memorable 'known' dishes were deep fried bumble bees (bit like honey coated sugar puffs actually) and snake (which 5 mins before had been hissing at me) - survived the adventure though and would do it all again in the blink of an eye!

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Boiled silk worm larvae, deep fried scorpions, kangaroo sausage, crocodile, and possibly dog (lived in South Korea and was taken out to a few places where it was never fully explained to me what I was eating) oh and still wriggling octopus legs.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Sand hoppers,well it would be a waste not too really.
sandhoppers1.png

Netfrog also gave me a bit of lettice in the kitchen once, didn’t realise he was about to say look at the size o that slug.:yuck:

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Interesting. The alligator I had was neither fishy nor tough. However that might be because it was alligator sausage (the normal way it's prepared along the Gulf Coast)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Interesting. The alligator I had was neither fishy nor tough. However that might be because it was alligator sausage (the normal way it's prepared along the Gulf Coast)

I've had gator.... I likened it to Turkey ham. No fishy taste whatsoever.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
In my youth I did quite a lot of coarse fishing. On colder days in winter while river fishing, it was customary - through necessity or simply bravado - to keep the hook bait, usually Calliphora vomitoria larvae, warm by keeping a few in your mouth. Needless to say they're wriggly little fellas at 37.4 degrees and it's pretty usual for one or two to get loose and be swallowed during the course of a day on the bankside.

Moorhen was nice... coot, despite the physical resemblance, was vile. Squirrel, once you get past the fact it's a rat with a better PR man, is positively lovely, superior to rabbit in every way except size as four of them could be considered a snack.

All things considered and bearing in mind my cousin once worked at a factory which made the things and gleefully reported on the games of football which would take place with them in the warehouse before they were packaged and sent off for sale, I think the pork pies (since I was told tales) are probably the weirdest things I've eaten - if only for the 'why am I still eating them' factor. I gave up eating pepperami (it's a bit of an animal said the advert... that's right, it's the lips, hairy bits and the ar$es which they can't sell any other way) a loooong time ago or it'd be that.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Years ago and very drunk at a party I ate a jar of baby pickled octopus.

Last weekend while shopping I found that LOOK WHAT WE FOUND do soup . It was pea apple and mint
and after one spoonful it went down the sink . Please if you find it leave it on the shelf for someone else.

Craig..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE