Strangest thing you've ever eaten?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
strangest things ive never eaten:

canned-food-9.jpg

iguanasoup.jpg

sos.jpg

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Northern Laos, twenty years ago, in the jungle and starving, we caught catfish in a river with our bare hands, skewered them on bamboo and semi-cooked them over a guttering fire in the rain. I'm just glad it was dark by the time we were chewing on them because we were so hungry we ate them heads tails and all. Pretty good as i recall, but I'm glad it was dark!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You'll often find that unscrupulous fishmongers (and seafood reaurants) will substitute Mekong catfish for grouper.

Jul 31, 2012
London
I have no idea how "Strange" these things are on a grand scale, but I've had Octopus, Zebra, Kangaroo, Alligator, Crocodile, Bison, Boar, Alpaca, Crickets and Locusts. All prepared in nice restaurants, so unfortunately no funny stories about wild catching the locusts, or accidentally inhaling a zebra I'm afraid. ;)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I have to go with tarantula leg, and have to say was not an experience I would like to repeat.
I did like grasshoppers in a small layer of dough though
Yours sincerely Ruud

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've tried puff adder courtesy of a South African chef I used to work with, A bit like haggis but 'different'

But the strangest was a love note from my girlfriend actually inside a ham sandwich. We are no longer together, and the therapy seems to be helping.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
A hat, not a fabric or leather one but one made from marzipan when my mate qualified as a chef he reminded me of a bet I made when he started "I'll eat my hat when you qualify as a chef".

Apart from that Snake nuggets the same friend who's a chef has a friend who is trying to come up with menu for a bizarre restaurant idea he has and roped me in to a night of food and drink tasting made them. It was that or the god awful bacon ice cream that gave me a awful few hours the next day, don't get me wrong lovely guy can cook "normal" food but my god his combinations just don't work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE