Straight razor shaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Has anyone used a old traditional straight razor for shaving? Im thinking about shaving in this meathod moving forward , there is something about it that looks so satisfying. I have never done it before so any advice on what tools to buy would be great.
I know this is a bit of topic, but I do believe it is a traditional skill :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've done it.

It is quite an experience. I bought a razor from ebay before straights became popular again, so it was cheap. Took about a week for my skin to adapt - I bobbled up a lot before then and really had a lot of beard rash, but then got used to it. Don't try going against the grain until you have some practise, and lay the razor at about 30degrees to the skin or less. Oh, it's more like buttering bread, scrape scrape, not grand fast sweeps.
Found I could never shave some areas as close as I could manage with a double razor (turn of the chin, there is probably a reason why 'goatee' beards were popular).
I treated myself to getting the razor professionally sharpened and honed, figuring that would make a massive difference; it didn't much.

These days I use good old palmolive stick and a brush (the same brush I bought 30 years ago). Hot water, rub stick on face, lather up and feather blades. If I were to go back to straight razors, I'd get a stainless razor, keeping the edge on a carbon one is hard work in a humid bathroom.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I have done it and I must say it gives the most clean shave you have ever had , usually in about 24hours my beard is already seen on my face while when I shaved with a straight razor I was walking with a baby face for 2 days , it gives you the most smooth shave. It is a great skill to have , although it may be expensive at the beginning , you need a nice razor , shaving soap , very fines stones and strops with fine compounds. But on the long run it's great and it makes you feel very manly :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134602 I don't shave often but when I do I either go cut throat or de.

Got a bunch atm if you need any supplies or advice. Send me a pm if you wanna look at my current stock and/or want advice on what to get and how to use it. I can also hone any decent old razor you find on ebay or wherever. ;)

I sent the boss man Tony a razor, strop and all the bits and I think he chickened out after the first try! lol

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Thank you for the info guys, I have been looking at this as my first starter kit, what do you all think.? Is this a good option? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322024480120 I don't want to spend to much but don't want to buy rubbish neither.
I have looked at the ones that have interchangeable blades, but I would rather sharpen and strop a blade and take pride in the shaving process.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Thank you for the info guys, I have been looking at this as my first starter kit, what do you all think.? Is this a good option? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322024480120 I don't want to spend to much but don't want to buy rubbish neither.
I have looked at the ones that have interchangeable blades, but I would rather sharpen and strop a blade and take pride in the shaving process.

https://shavenation.com

This is a great site you should give it a look

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The only cheap razors on the market with usable steel under £60 are Gold dollar chinese razors. They come blunter thana butter knife but with some ahrd work shave as good as any proper razor out there for £100. The gold dollars start at £8 lol. Shockingly cheap and I've owned one myself and used it happily. Gave it to Tony in the end.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
The only cheap razors on the market with usable steel under £60 are Gold dollar chinese razors. They come blunter thana butter knife but with some ahrd work shave as good as any proper razor out there for £100. The gold dollars start at £8 lol. Shockingly cheap and I've owned one myself and used it happily. Gave it to Tony in the end.
This sounds like the ticket, do you have any links to this blade :)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Gold-...254401?hash=item568c31b181:g:vjIAAOSwgZ1XvtcF gold dollars on ebay mate, cheapest is this one. no idea if the sellers is good though. it will need a professional reprofile, sharpen and hone though and most people charge atleast £20 for that.

I'll pm you tomorro mate as i'm a bit rushed off my feet atm. but i'll sort you out!
I ordered a 208 version yesterday, so should get it by Monday, im gonna take it to the stone once i receive it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE