stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
Picture451.jpg

Picture452.jpg

Picture446.jpg

Made this today still need to put a vent in the door, alot of smoke is coming out of hte door. I dont now if its the wind, any ideas to improve would be much appreciated?, boiled pint of water in a billy can pretty quick, because of the baffel.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Looks really nice. How tall is the flue? Perhaps it's not tall enough to really draw properly, hence the smoke coming though the door?

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
in my imaginary tipi :D , should be getting one in a few months from germany so i`m just getting ready and playing in the garage.

hootchi

Settler
Looks like a really nice stove.

I thought about making a kelly kettle type stove but have no welding equipment and I thought solder may be a bit unhealthy to seal the water container part as it may start melting under heat back into the water?

The stove may not be drawing as well as it could be if there is not enough venting for the air to enter at the base. The holes aren't getting blocked by ash are they?

It works a bit like a jet engine, let air in the bottom and heat it up to go out the top, as the fire gets hotter more air is drawn in the bottom and goes out the top which makes the fire hotter...

cheers

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Looks good trikey but you need a good sized vent in the door. I would suggest that you make the total area of the vent about half the size of the chimney hole

You might want to experiment with the baffle as well. Does the baffle feed to the front or to the back? If the baffle feeds to the front then you can find that air is drawn straight through from the baffle to the chimney without going through the fuel. A little experimentation with the height of the baffle might be in order.

If the baffle feeds to the back then you need a double baffle to direct the airflow back across the top of the stove. Kind of like a z shape.

Looks very good for a first one.

Feels scary cutting into the gas bottle doesn't it!

George

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
hootchi said:
Looks like a really nice stove.

I thought about making a kelly kettle type stove but have no welding equipment and I thought solder may be a bit unhealthy to seal the water container part as it may start melting under heat back into the water?

The stove may not be drawing as well as it could be if there is not enough venting for the air to enter at the base. The holes aren't getting blocked by ash are they?

It works a bit like a jet engine, let air in the bottom and heat it up to go out the top, as the fire gets hotter more air is drawn in the bottom and goes out the top which makes the fire hotter...

cheers

Yup,
I'd have said something similar. If the flue itself is not getting hot enough (not the gasses coming out of it but the metalwork) you won't get a decent updraught. If you were using it in the garden, there might have been an airflow over the top of your house that stopped the flue from working properly. Flues and chimneas are a dark art, what will work in one instance will not necessarily work in another.

Looks good by the way.

Ogri the trog

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
cheers all,
the flu is only about 4 foot at the moment but i`ve got a longer bit stashed at the back of the garage to try, the baffle angles from the back to the front, you can just see it in the top piccy,my welding looks like pidgeon s#@t but i`ve got the angle grinder so if it does`nt work off it comes and i can try again.i was going to put a short piece of tubin just next to the door and just below the center of the bottle with a round baffle like on home wood burners so i can turn it to adjust the flow,
anyone got any piccys of theres i would love to see them, :eek:

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Sorry if this is adaft question to some of you but what is a baffle in this context? I can't really see anything I recognise (as in having never created a stove or a baffle in my life) in trikey's top picture but can imagine what I see is a plate of some kind rolling from the back of the base to a couple of inches below and toward the chimney part of the top- presumably to force the heat and therefore inflow of air / gasses toward the flue under a bit of pressure like?

Just from that point of view, if I was making it from scratch, I would maybe have given a little more space from front to back, so the flames could reach into the flue a little for a direct heating effect, and for the flue effect of dragging the flue gasses upwards into the chimney. I think as Ogri says, it's probably a dark art, and since I ain't tried yet, I may be wrong, but that seems like a good idea to me when I do....

Just gearing up towards learning to bird sh*t by the way....

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
evening underground,i spent a bit of time near grenoside, anywere near you, the baffle on my attempt runs upwards from the back to the front wtth a small gap at the front, i think some of the idea is that if the smoke takes a longer path the actual smoke coming out the chimney is reduced, and more heat passes over the flat area where you can put a mess tin for cooking,or am i talking bo@~ox.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
trikey said:
evening underground,i spent a bit of time near grenoside, anywere near you, the baffle on my attempt runs upwards from the back to the front wtth a small gap at the front, i think some of the idea is that if the smoke takes a longer path the actual smoke coming out the chimney is reduced, and more heat passes over the flat area where you can put a mess tin for cooking,or am i talking bo@~ox.

Trikey you're trying to do a number of things with the baffle. One of them as you say is to redirect the hot flue gases across and underneath the top plate in order to heat it. The other thing you are trying to do is to give the hot gases - smoke, more time in the stove to burn. Wood smoke contains all sorts of stuff that can burn. If you just allow it to rush straight up the chimney without giving up all its potential heat then you would be better off with an open fire!

By causing it to stay in the stove longer you can heat the gases more until they burn in the stove not just pumped out the chimney - have you ever watched a bonfire at night and watched the swirling gases in the smoke burning? You are trying to make that happen in the stove.

Hang on - just downloaded the PDF that Greywolf posted - it tells you just about everything you need to know more articulately than I can - good one Greywolf :D

George

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
cheers all for the advice,
will hopefull be putting a vent on the stove tomorrow so that when i close the door the fire will stop going out, any ideas as to the best position would be much appreciated, the door is not that big so i was thinking next to the door and just below the middle of the bottle, i was going to use a short piece of tubibg with a damper in it,will hopefully post some pics tomorrow so you can have somethink to laff at. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE