Stove Options -- Help Please !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Okay, so we're about to pull the trigger on a lavvu, and next up will be a stove(s), and I can't really come to terms with what we need, and any forthcoming help will be appreciated thanks :)

It's for two of us and our two year old daughter, and i'm sorry, but i'll have to digress here a little:

Our daughter's allergic-as in exposure causes anaphylaxis- to both milk and egg, so we need the lavvu to serve as a known safe-zone base camp initially whilst visiting friends and relatives around the UK (initially). Therefore we have an eye on hot camping which will allow us to travel comfortably in all seasons, however, as she's potentially asthmatic, we don't know how she'll react to a wood stove in a tent.
We also won't be able to wander too far from the beaten track initially as we need to be twenty minutes from the nearest A&E.

So, bearing these things in mind, what do you think we should get ? We'd like to use wood as much as possible, buy once, expect to buy a lightweight transportable cooking option, and a heavy basecamp one. We've got a Sigg multi-fuel stove that's too small to suffice, but may be a good backup.

I like the look of the Ecozoom for basecamp, but won't (afaik) provide much warmth, and wouldn't be used in the lavvu. Should we go for a well engineered stove like a Windy Smithy (rather than a Titanium import, or Helsport, etc), and use it outdoors until we can determine whether it's safe to install in the lavvu ? Is a large Kelly Kettle big enough to provide a transportable option for 2.5 people ?

Thanks for your time :)

Nick

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd recommend for your heavy weight base camp version to get something heavy (no pun intended) maybe even one of the cast iron stove / wood burners - something that will hold the heat and allow you to cook or heat water as necessary. It will be stable inside the tent and you can add a fire-guard if you want to stop curious fingers from getting scorched. We have the standard stove that came with our Bisontelt Lavvu and it is beginning to show rust patches, but has been good for a few years of regular, but not prolonged, use and I'm thinking of upgrading to a heavy stove myself.

Two years ago at the Moot we did a comparison test of a few stoves, Frontier, Titanium, Ozpig (IIRC) and each had their quirks;
The Frontier had a small diameter flue that filled with creosote but was a good stove generally with lots of add-on extras available
The Ozpig couldn't decide whether it was a stove or a barbeque
The Titanium stove was very lightweight and packed very small, but was a little delicate. It heated up and cooled down quickly but took two or three people to assemble it, being flexible and light.

I would also caution that you will occasionally get smoke in the tent which neither your daughter nor wife will appreciate - even if you daughter turns out not to be asthmatic!

What size Lavvu are you getting, and are your friends & family's gardens big enough to take it?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Thanks Ogri!

I'd recommend for your heavy weight base camp version to get something heavy (no pun intended) maybe even one of the cast iron stove / wood burners - something that will hold the heat and allow you to cook or heat water as necessary. It will be stable inside the tent and you can add a fire-guard if you want to stop curious fingers from getting scorched. We have the standard stove that came with our Bisontelt Lavvu and it is beginning to show rust patches, but has been good for a few years of regular, but not prolonged, use and I'm thinking of upgrading to a heavy stove myself.
That's what we're thinking mate, do these operate okay outside of a tent ?
We're thinking of possibly a Windy Smithy, or these look interesting, perhaps too small ? :

http://survivorstoves.webs.com/

15%20(800x600).jpg

28%20(600x800).jpg

Two years ago at the Moot we did a comparison test of a few stoves, Frontier, Titanium, Ozpig (IIRC) and each had their quirks;
The Frontier had a small diameter flue that filled with creosote but was a good stove generally with lots of add-on extras available
The Ozpig couldn't decide whether it was a stove or a barbeque
The Titanium stove was very lightweight and packed very small, but was a little delicate. It heated up and cooled down quickly but took two or three people to assemble it, being flexible and light.

Cheers for that, maybe we should look to get a light weight Ti-stove at a later date when we're
getting off the beaten track more.

I would also caution that you will occasionally get smoke in the tent which neither your daughter nor wife will appreciate - even if you daughter turns out not to be asthmatic!
Hahaha, it'll give me some peace and quiet ;) Does this happen infrequently ?

What size Lavvu are you getting, and are your friends & family's gardens big enough to take it?

ATB
Ogri the trog

Most have land/large gardens, but intend to utilise a campsite/wild camp when in need.
We'll probably go for a Varanger Camp 8-10, that should be big enough with stove/stove guard and kit, shouldn't it ?
Thanks
Nick

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
We'll probably go for a Varanger Camp 8-10, that should be big enough with stove/stove guard and kit, shouldn't it ?
Thanks
Nick

If you are buying a Helsport Lavvu, get the Helsport stove. It was designed for the lavvu range.

I have that make and model, as does Alex. Here's a pic of his with his family set up:

Here's the thread it was in:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106349

HTH

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
To be honest, given your little girls medical issues I'd leave a woodburner out of the loop until she's older and go for something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Propane-G...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item485eace3bf

They use propane so no problem with the gas in cold weather, instant and controllable heat and less likely to trigger her chest; personally I'd not take the risk of a wood burner with the girl.
Thanks Rik :)

Yes, that's precisely the quandry mate, we wouldn't risk it, we'd need to know, that's why we'd buy a wood burning base camp stove that could operate outside of a lavvu and be introduced at a later stage, during winter, if/when we were confident.
Alternatively, we could use something like a fire pit/bowl away from the tent for cooking/direct warmth during the winter, as we are accumulating a fair amount of four season insulation.
Sorry Rik, thanks for the suggestion but we'd rather use wood/bio-mass if we possibly can :)

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
If you are buying a Helsport Lavvu, get the Helsport stove. It was designed for the lavvu range.

I have that make and model, as does Alex. Here's a pic of his with his family set up:

Here's the thread it was in:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106349

HTH
Thanks Martin, is that an 8-10 Camp ? I've seen the this thread loads of times whilst doing research, but oddly, i've never seen the images towards the end :eek:
My reservations about this model are concerning durability for the price/weight, and the sealing of the unit being insufficient.
Is this rational, or is it durable and the chimney draw suffices ? It might not be a great one for outside use under a tarp if we are unable to use in the lavvo, or is it ? :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Martin, is that an 8-10 Camp ? I've seen the this thread loads of times whilst doing research, but oddly, i've never seen the images towards the end :eek:
My reservations about this model are concerning durability for the price/weight, and the sealing of the unit being insufficient.
Is this rational, or is it durable and the chimney draw suffices ? It might not be a great one for outside use under a tarp if we are unable to use in the lavvo, or is it ? :)

Yes that is an Varanger 8-10 Camp.

I've had no problems with durability, the flue seal or the draw.

I have used the Helsport stove in a Bison tundra lavvu and the Helsport for the past 4 years.

I couldn't comment on the stability with use outside of a lavvu as I haven't used it this way.

HTH

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Yes that is an Varanger 8-10 Camp.

I've had no problems with durability, the flue seal or the draw.

I have used the Helsport stove in a Bison tundra lavvu and the Helsport for the past 4 years.

I couldn't comment on the stability with use outside of a lavvu as I haven't used it this way.

HTH
Do you get smoke backing into the tent much?
Sorry to badger you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE