Storm/Kelly/Ghillie kettles???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
I'm thinking about getting one of these in the 1-1.2 litre size but I don't have a clue about quality so looking for a little help. Also, does the base fit up inside the upper part when not in use?

Any help very much appreciated!!

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
I have that size and for me it has become a car camping only tool, too bulky for backpacking,

The quality of these are very good, there is not much to choose between the brands of Ghillie or Kelly, both do a good range of sizes, so make sure it will suit your purpose.

My preference for backpacking and day trips is the Mkettle, I use it with a trangia burner first thing in the mornings, and natural fuels at most other times, holds about a pint. For a two decent size drinks I boils some more water and top up the cups ( adds heat to a cooling cuppa )

Borrow one of your cosing to see if it works for you (if possible)

Warning - don't let one boil dry, the aluminium version will melt on an open fire, and it's not good for the seals either

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The bases fit upturned into the chimney part to make them smaller for storage.
I would happily recommend the Storm Kettle version, I use the F1 which is the smallest one they do and if you want more than two cups at a sitting it brews up while you're drinking the first.
Nice friendly company to deal with too.

Rob.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I was involved in the storm kettle f1 prototype, they are a good company to deal with, & all suggestions made were taken on board, & they amended the original design. They also sent me one of the amended one's for free as a thank you.

Rob

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I'd recommend Ghillie kettles and Mkettles myself. But I would as I do group buys for them. One of which has just finished.
Like Tigger004 said the Mkettle is perfect for back packing, the 1 and 1.5ltr kettles are a bit more for car camping.

It's more down to who has the better sale patter Ghillie and Storm are both made in Britain. And the only difference between the Mkettle and the F1 is the spout.

Kelly are doing steel kettles as well as aluminium but as far as I'm aware they are now being made in another country. And just in case you are interested the steel one's will not be made in Britain due to costs being to much as well as the fact that the steel business is currently on it's knees

But Ghillie and Storm both have anodized kettles which makes them as good as steel ones.

At the end of the day they all do the same thing.
But I think Ghillie are still doing a discount online.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd recommend Ghillie kettles and Mkettles myself. But I would as I do group buys for them. One of which has just finished.
Like Tigger004 said the Mkettle is perfect for back packing, the 1 and 1.5ltr kettles are a bit more for car camping.

It's more down to who has the better sale patter Ghillie and Storm are both made in Britain. And the only difference between the Mkettle and the F1 is the spout.

Kelly are doing steel kettles as well as aluminium but as far as I'm aware they are now being made in another country. And just in case you are interested the steel one's will not be made in Britain due to costs being to much as well as the fact that the steel business is currently on it's knees

But Ghillie and Storm both have anodized kettles which makes them as good as steel ones.

Ah, since Daz posted I'd been looking for your GB.

I'm a fan, but only for fun value, not practicality. I'd rate the Ghillies over Kelly, no experience of Storm.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Ooooh! Some interesting views coming up. Making me re-evaluate my strategy somewhat. I'll try to elaborate:- Fishing trips is my thing. 3 or 4 days at a time mostly. Way out in the sticks. All year round. Anything we're going to need we have to carry. Normally i'm carrying a Coleman petrol lamp, Coleman stove and a couple of litres of spare fuel. The lamp is a must in the colder months in my view for warmth and light. If I can dump the stove and some of the fuel then it would definitely make getting there easier. The storm/Kelly kettle would be lighter but bulkier and the fuel and water are already up there.I'm definitely liking the " Lighter" aspect! I'd only be looking to cook simple meals but i'm still not sure if it's for me from what i'm hearing and I'm not getting anything that you could call definitive on the quality front either.

Me, somewhere up north on a previous trip.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Kettles are ok for boiling water but not much good for much else.

Have you had a look at a wood gas stove, uses same fuel material as kelly and similar if not better efficiency but packs away smaller (normally inside a 14cm pot) and is more flexible.

I have a 'wild wood' one, but very similar clones can be had off ebay inexpensively.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Where you go, do you get to have a small fire Daz?

I'm thinking your kit has a lovely comfortable feel to it in use, but is way too bulky. I have a couple of Vapalux lanterns, a storm kettle and some paraffin hurricane lanterns. But I wouldn't bother walking them in any distance, a decent chair and sleep system comes before that.

Instant light and heat suit me better. If really lite I take a Coleman gas lantern (mesh version), simple folding gas stove, can of gas. Cooking, heat, and light.

If it's a 3 dayer or so, I'd take a half litre of paraffin and a Feuerhand lamp, two 250g gas cans, mini stove, Emberlit stove (or any woodburner) and kettle.

I had a Kelly, it just boils water. It's a lovely way to boil water, there's a feel good factor, but they're clunky considering they only do one job well.

Looked at Mkettles? Small, just under a pint, but built UK I believe.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Kettles are ok for boiling water but not much good for much else.

Have you had a look at a wood gas stove, uses same fuel material as kelly and similar if not better efficiency but packs away smaller (normally inside a 14cm pot) and is more flexible.

I have a 'wild wood' one, but very similar clones can be had off ebay inexpensively.

I've spent a few weekends using my 1.5ltr Ghillie not only for hot water but also for cooking for my eldest daughter and myself. So I know that they do work.

But I must admit I have seen the wood gas stoves on ebay. They do seem good as well. Only question I would have is how long would it last. I've put my original Ghillie through some serious punishment and it's still in one piece. ..even if a little wonky after all the testing I gave it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

What are the advantages of the titanium-like adonized coating over the plain aluminium?

Cheers

K

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
But I must admit I have seen the wood gas stoves on ebay. They do seem good as well. Only question I would have is how long would it last. I've put my original Ghillie through some serious punishment and it's still in one piece. ..even if a little wonky after all the testing I gave it.

I paid less than a tenner inc postage from China for my wood gas stove in june/july 2014 and it has been used/uncleaned/stored/squashed in rucksack without mercy since and all it has to show for it is a great patina, i'll be using it below my ghillie kettle rather than the provided fire bowl, one of my best ever bushcraft buys that little bit of kit, looking forward to using the ghillie kettle soon

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I will throw another one in the mix, in case you feel like supporting the Australian economy.
I use the Eco Billy, stainless steel, two sizes - 700mls & 1.5lts.
I use a pie tin under mine as it does not come with a tray.
Incidentally if I am taking fuel with me ie on a kayak trip , I have been using the thin wood from a vegetable/fruit box. It is like rocket fuel.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone tried to make a woodgas stove? There easy enough to make but the hard bit is finding the cans to make the inner and outer parts. Never found good ones so forgot about doing it myself. Kind of satisfying to make your own like those meths burners out of drinks cans or cat food tins.

Personally I've always wanted a kettle from one of those brands but for me they're too bulky. My go to kit is always a variation of small gas can with gas stove and a 750ml Ti mug or a tiny meths stove and meths container. You learn how to use meths and gas efficiently so carry less fuel. For me both options would pack down smaller than even the mkettle I think.

Perhaps look at honey stove or pocket honey stove. Basic wood burner but hey you're choosing to burn wood because it is available where you end up going to right? You're not too fussed about fuel efficiency with wood if it's to hand at your camp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE