Storing dried food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
As well as rice and various pulses I am thinking about buying a dehydrator.

So what is the best way to keep dried food and how long will it keep for??

I know this is quite a general question but any advice appreciated.

GS

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just wrap dry food in grease proof paper and store it in the cupboard in the kitchen. We have a not damp central heated house. My last house was damp and had gas fires, and used to store dried food in clean dry jam jars. I have never had any problems with either but, I find some things like acorn flour or home roasted hazelnuts go funky really quickly if they aren't stored in paper. Shop bought flour and sugar in stored in paper, so I figure some things need to breathe. I have never made jerky that wasn't eaten within 2 weeks, so I can't comment on that.

We keep dried food in 1 to 4L glass jars. When we run out of jars we use plastic freezer bags. We dry around 40 - 60 kg of fresh garden vegetables for the winter every year, all dried in drying sheds. One shed is heated and is used in wet weather.

For dried meat we put a paper bag inside a plastic bag. Moose and deer mostly. We've kept meat this way for close to 2 years. By then it's all been eaten so I don't know if it would keep longer.

We talk about it in one of our blogs.
http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.com/

Scott
http://www.caribooblades.com

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you pack in an oxygen barrier, sealed container some items will last indefinitely (sugar, salt etc.). Grains and beans (dried) can last a decade.

Care, preparation and a good storage medium are the key

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Salt and sugar will last decades or longer, just keep bugs and rodents off them, freeze dried coffee should also last many years until you break the seal.

I've got a large can of freeze dried pork chops coming over from the States, if and when I open it I'll post some pictures:)

Home canning and drying is still very popular in the States, its worth spending a little time on google and looking at some sites and forums. I know Red is into preserving home food, but overall the Americans know a lot more than most of us so go and take a look, I've learned a lot of theory and I'll practise more when time and circumstances permit.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Get the dehydrator!! I have one and use it quite a lot to make beef jerky, dried fruits, granola/ crunchy stuff - fantastic. I got a load of click n clip type plastic containers which seem to be more or less airtight - haven't had anything go off yet. I keep meaning to try drying out something like a pasta & tuna tomato sauce so that I can try rehydrating and cooking it out and about but haven't done it yet...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE