Stainless Steel vs Carbon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mora:Carbon vs Stainless Steel

• The mora carbon blade

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • The mora stainless steel blade

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • There both as good as each other.

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
I'm new to this site and have been looking for a knife. I've found on swc web site that i can buy a ray mears type of knife for £65(for the knife only no sheaf) but i have to put it together myself. And now i've seen this mora knife on this site for what seems next to nothing ,and by all accounts seems to be given a good write-up.
Is it worth me getting the swc type of knife or get this mora knife instead
O'yes i've read about the f1 knife aswell how good a knife is that.
All advise happly recived

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Greetings Sandbag, welcome to BCUK.

As with all hobbies, start with inexpensive items first. SWC blades are reputed to be superb, but I started with putting together less expensive knives at first.

Get a Mora, then see how you go, is my advice. You'll have a much better idea of what you want.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just been watching the Mors Kochanski DVD's and when you see what he can do with a cheap frosts you realise that the last thing you need to do is spend a lot of money on a knife.
Now as a knife collector and someone who appreciates nice things i do spend a fair bit of money on knives but if you want a user or are just starting out and need to learn how to use, maintain and sharpen a knife then a frosts is the way to go.

I have made a couple of the SWC knife kits myself and have made sheaths for a few more and they are every bit as good as a genuine Woody to use, they just won't be worth as much as the genuine article which for a user is a good thing but maybe not so good for a collector.

Either way you are on a winner but for a first knife i get a frosts.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Ok my knifes arrived yestereday carbon and stainless.Stupidly and i am admiting to this i cut myself with the carbon one removing it from the sheath,*i was just so excited lol*
I was instantly impressed with the quality of both. I had some fun with both testing them on feathering a stick and with ferro rod
Overall i prefer the stainless steel , ctraig bought the carbon one of me.
So everybody wins.
Thanks a lot for the advise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE