SSSI woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
I'm looking for some advise from those in the know, I have come across a piece of woodland for sale which is part of a 200 acre site, however the whole wood is SSSI, now all I want it for is to get out and practise bushcraft with the occasional sleep out, I have been trying to find out what I can and cannot do, I understand that it can be a minefield so before I contact the local council, English Nature would this be a viable purchase? Any pitfalls to look out for etc.
The site was designated SSSI because of
Natural England described the woodland thus: "This site is a good example of a pedunculate oak-hornbeam woodland on Wealden Clay [comprising] mainly hornbeam coppice-with-standards and oakhazel woodland with some sweet chestnut coppice. There is an outstanding assemblage of insects: moths and butterflies are particularly well documented. The wood also supports a diverse breeding bird community." Birds breeding in the wood include nightingale, woodcock, nuthatch, greatspotted woodpecker and several kinds of tits and warblers.[3]

Any thoughts appreciated

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
See this site

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/protected-areas-sites-of-special-scientific-interest

However, my understanding is, unless you plan to change the use or carry out habitat modification you would be OK. You should not, for example, introduce new species unnaturally or damage the existing habitat but would be expected to carry out management (to a plan) that maintained or improved the SSSI characteristics.

You are entitled to 'sleep out' in woodland that you are working in for the 'season' - no one has defined 'the season' but it is considered to be less than a year.

You would not be able to run any commercial operation from it as that would be change of use however you may be able to subject to a planning application.

One thing I should add is that dealing with 'Natural England' is expensive and there's only so much advice they give away free (quite little in fact).

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy and Gooner

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Thanks Broch I have been informed by the agent today that the parcel of woodland is classed as 'amenity woodland' not suitable for cop pice, so will delve further into this.
Not interested in a commercial venture purely for pleasure, also sporting rights are included.

Last edited:

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
My woodland is mostly SSSI and I coppice as it's hornbeam, ye some loops to jump through but I have done it and have temp permission for a hut. hope ypu brought it seen the post is nearly a year old.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE