Squirrles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Speaking of which...any tips on hunting squirrels by airgun? :-D

(Sorry ESpy I don't know much about acorn preparation :wink: )

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I always aim just behind the eye if the angle permits, and try to keep the range down. Always found .177 works well, but have had good results with .22 as well its just that my better rifles are all .177.
Some recommend baiting them but I've never tried that.

Dave

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
It isn't really baiting as such - the little beggars nick everything going.

Behind the eye and slightly low works well for me - my gut feel is that .22 hollow point pellets work "best" for me (less post mortem activity, as you no doubt know what I mean!), but frankly, .177 or .22 work equally well.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have never had a problem with my .22 dome pellets (accupells) shooting for the chest. As long as you hit far enough forward to get the hear/lungs it is a good shot. There is so much of the head that is none fatal, and it is so small that if I have the choice I always go for the chest.

Baiting can work, but I like still hunting best. Just easing through the wood, stopping every-so-often to look and listen. In many areas squirrels aren't exactly the wariest critters. Staking out nut trees works well too, if you find an area covered with bits of nut shell it is good to hang about.

The Americans are BIG on hunting squirrels with just about any means you can think of, there should be a ton of stuff about it on their hunting magazine web sites.

Any of you eat them or process them for anything?

Chris

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Ate squirrel for the first time at the weekend - very tasty. Similar to rabbit in flavour, much denser meat (presumably because it gets more exercise).

This is supposed to be the best time of year to eat them - they're stuffed on nuts, so the flavour of the oils are supposed to permeate the flesh.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
For the sake of humanity I'd much rather go for headshots. Personally I wouldn't kill it if I didn't intend to eat it and a headshot saves the trouble of discarding some of the meat/digging around for a pellet.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Matt said:
Personally I wouldn't kill it if I didn't intend to eat it

Fair point. I haven't been happy about killing them and not eating them, but neither have I been happy about them eating the food I'm growing for myself.

I absolutely agree on headshots - and you *have* to know where to place the shot. Not a big target.

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
Here in the US, i hunt squirrels often. Usually with a .22 rifle, but sometimes with a .177 pellet rifle.

If one looks at a squirrel that has been completely skinned but not gutted, they look like miniature body builders. Very muscular and no fat. They are tough little scrappers for their size, and I personally always try for a head shot even with a .22 LR rifle. A body shot, especially with an air rifle, may work but is not as sure or quick.

Their hide is thin and TOUGH. Makes wonderful thongs- even used by Native Americans for hunting bow strings.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hey guys, killin' 'em is easy. :) It's the cleaning part that's a killer. Here's a little squirrel gambrel I made that that makes life much, much easier. Put the hind legs in the slots, make a slit at the base of the tail dorsal to the anus and cut completely through the spine (but not through the skin). Extend the cuts along the haunches and give a yank, pulling the hide down over the front legs (cut the front paws off first). Now remove the squirrel and place the neck in the large slot at the top. Now pull his "britches" off by tugging at the remaining skin, pulling downward over the hind legs. Gut and it's a done deal. And if you do it right, no squirrel hair to spoil your meat. :-D
squirrelcleaning2.jpg

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
In Britain, how many species of squirrel are there?

Also, are there species of North American animals which have been established in Britain?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Curdog said:

Also, are there species of North American animals which have been established in Britain?

Two, Red and Grey

Yep, Grey squirrels aka tree rats :AR15firin

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Tony said:
Curdog said:

Two, Red and Grey

Yep, Grey squirrels aka tree rats :AR15firin

At least, there were two before this topic got started. They might all be gone by now.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
great gadget hoodoo! just don't mention the fetal pigs.

the red, our native squirrel, is both smaller than the invading american grey, and has a slightly different digestive system. basically the grey squirrel can eat alot of the nuts and mast earlier than the red. so there ain't much left for the poor liddle native squibbles. :-(

greys are considered pest and vermin, the reds are a rare protected species.

cheers, and.

Curdog

Nov 18, 2003
We have a species of small red squirrel here as well. It seems to be able to out compete grey squirrels in areas mainly forested by conifers.

We also have a Fox squirrel. It is quite a bit larger than the grey, and less likely to be found in groups. It realy seems to eat more ground based food than the greys, such as corn and mushrooms. The fox is the species most common near my home.

Are other north American species established in Britain?

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
As far as animal and bird species are concerned, the following are all regarded as 'naturalised' within the UK (although some are the object of eradication programmes):

Mink
Grey squirrel

Night heron
Ruddy duck
Canada Goose
Wood duck (Carolina duck)
Bobwhite quail

Source - 'The Naturalised Animals of the British Isles', Christopher Lever, 1979, Paladin (publ.)

Of course that's now a pretty old book.

Additionally, 'Fauna Britannica', Duff Hart-Davis, 2002, Ted Smart (publ.) lists Muskrat, Elk and Lynx (although the latter via 'circumstantial evidence' - there are many ongoing sightings of various 'big cats' around the UK but few - if any? - have been caught that weren't recent releases).

Additionally, re-introduction programmes for both Beaver (European, not American) and Wolf are currently being debated.

Hope that helps

Bob :-D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Ok, I will put this to you.

The squirrel is the only true organic meat to found in the country!

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE