Squirrel is TV chef's tasty new dish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I think it is worth giving a go for the experience of tasting it but if you have ever skinned one I reckon you expend more calories getting the jacket off than you get to consume at the end of it :lmao:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, they can be hard work for what you get. I've seen a few people have the skins off right quick though, they've just got the knack.....I need to get me the knack :D

ganstey

Settler
Squirrel might be a possibility when I'm down in the wood with a few mates of mine. One of them does a lot of air rifle shooting, and has offered to reduce the population by a few. Although, I reckon he'll be hard pressed to see any, let alone shoot them :D

Anyhow, if he does manage to bag one, what's the best way to prepare it. Bare in mind that I've never attempted to process any animal 'in the full' as it were, so "do the same as you would to a rabbit" doesn't help me much :rolleyes: Is it possible/worth just getting out the breast meat as you would a pigeon?

Once I have the raw meat prepared, I guess you could fry it or stew it.

G

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I guess the best meat will be in the saddle (behind the ribs to in front of the back legs) like on a rabbit.

As for cooking the possibilities are numerous:

Spit roast
Stew
Braise
Fry

Season it well with salt and pepper, a bit of garlic and some herbs, some good stock if you are stewing or braising it and away to go.

You can't tell who does the cooking in our house can you.:)

Stewey.:D

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I had my first one a few weeks ago and also had a go at skinning one. It does take some patience, but the result is very tasty and I was surprised at how much meat there was on them.

To add to the recipe ideas, we tried a few hot smoked for around an hour and they were very nice indeed...

ganstey

Settler
I had my first one a few weeks ago and also had a go at skinning one. It does take some patience, but the result is very tasty and I was surprised at how much meat there was on them.

To add to the recipe ideas, we tried a few hot smoked for around an hour and they were very nice indeed...

Is the skinning process one that can be described, or do you need some practice on more conventional game first so that you can work it out as you go?

G

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They have skin as tough as leather but very rubbery! At least, that was my impression of it. Both The Ratbag and myself have shot a couple now and then :rolleyes: and I find putting them down in one is very difficult, they seem to be so resilient. Bullet Proof Squirrel should be a new film based on the Bullet Proof Monk film. I'd put my money on the squirrel kicking the monks' butt!

We only took the back legs off, couldn't see much point in messing with the rest of it as there didn't appear to be much else on them. There is a quick way to do it shown on Youtube which involves cutting under the tail, standing on the tail and then ripping the fur up and over its' head like taking it's PJs off, but I haven't tried it. Their skin is tough to get off, a small razor sharp knife or scalpel blade would be a good item to help get its' skin off.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Here's one I prepared earlier the fresher they are the easier they are to skin and the meat is like sweet pork

Attachments

• hair 584.jpg
    hair 584.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 122

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Is the skinning process one that can be described, or do you need some practice on more conventional game first so that you can work it out as you go?

G
I would definitely recommend practicing on a few rabbits first as the principals are exactly the same but as has been mentioned before much more fiddly due to the size and the skin is a lot less willing to part company. For a quick skin I usually separate the skin from around the saddle then cut through the skin completely. I then take hold of the two sections of skin (front and back) and pull in opposite directions (think Bullworker if you are old enough to remember them ;) ) this should do 90% of the job for you then its just a case of easing out the legs. I keep meaning to do a photo and video tutorial on this from gutting right through to jointing as I have demo'd it hundreds of times and must in my lifetime have skinned literally hundreds of thousands :). I will see if i can get my backside in gear and get something sorted!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I would definitely recommend practicing on a few rabbits first as the principals are exactly the same but as has been mentioned before much more fiddly due to the size and the skin is a lot less willing to part company. For a quick skin I usually separate the skin from around the saddle then cut through the skin completely. I then take hold of the two sections of skin (front and back) and pull in opposite directions (think Bullworker if you are old enough to remember them ;) ) this should do 90% of the job for you then its just a case of easing out the legs. I keep meaning to do a photo and video tutorial on this from gutting right through to jointing as I have demo'd it hundreds of times and must in my lifetime have skinned literally hundreds of thousands :). I will see if i can get my backside in gear and get something sorted!
Look forward to that!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
46 seconds to do the easy bit then the tape runs out with the skin on the back legs left on ;) . My record for a rabbit is 27 seconds as timed on a stopwatch at a meet by Swyn's son Ed :D

You can actually knock up a jig for skinning squirrels which makes the job a doddle!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE