Blades found in kiddy park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hypothesis: Another young kid nicked the blades from a parent for a lark. Then Stuck them in the ground and forgot about them.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A Norfolk police spokesman said: “The knives were taken away for safe disposal. We advise any member of the public who finds a knife to report it to us. If it is appropriate, move it to a position of safety and away from a location where it could be a danger to others. If in doubt, they should contact police and allow officers to deal with the knife.”
Any one would think they were unexploded bombs:rolleyes:
Has your child unearthed a dangerous weapon in a city park or beauty spot? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email peter.walsh@archant.co.uk
Are they that desperate to manufacture a scare story?:rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Alternative story.

Some kids were playing at chucking knives in a park and left them there. Someone else found them. No-one was hurt. End.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I hope that Time Team are taking notice, and if they ever find an ancient sword or knife that they call the local constabulary to come along and destroy it in situ before it comes alive by itself and starts to cleave innocent members of the general public in twain!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Stupid kids for losing them!

I always made sure I knew where my sharps were (and my parents didnt know)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Nanny knows best remember. Notice they didn't say "If your child unearths one of the most widely used TOOLS ever invented in a city park or beauty spot.....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"If it is appropriate, move it to a position of safety and away from a location where it could be a danger to others"

Like a kitchen draw?

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Wow, them howwible sharp things coulda upped and attacked a child or two. I mean, some of them were as big as her hand! (My mum refers to them as 'paring' knives.)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Stolen kitchen knives dumped in play ground
Adult not asked why they didn’t ring the police station and have them disposed of quietly. Local supermarkets were not available to comment

Kids/young adults stole some knives for a dare and after playing mummy-peg for a while realised that their parents would skin them alive if they came home with them, so abandoned them, somewhere convenient and dark. Where they were later found by an adult hoping to make a bundle of money from selling their story to a newspaper.

Biker

Welcome to the 21st century, when spin sell papers and gets attention to even to most mundane story when there isn't some terrorist attack to fill the headlines with.

Gawd knows what we're going to be reading once the wars in Afghanistan are over, Hollywood's probably sweating too.

You can imagine the headlines we'd be reading:

Man finds uncut loaf in packaging clearly marked as cut. Shock, horror! Knee jerk reaction, sensationalise, banning, public enquiery, aquittal, appeal, compensation payout, smiling faces at press conference. Rehash and more paper sales and bytes.

Oh my aching back.

rancid badger

Holy hell Red, you won't sell a story that way! It's almost like it's . . . accurate or something :rolleyes: :D

1st rule of modern journalism:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story :rolleyes:
more importantly; if you work for a local rag but have delusions of grandeur, make like a "proper" hack!

I had to smile about the "couple of empty beer bottles" left lying in the park too.

When we were kids, about 5 years old onwards, we regularly snuck old knives out of the kitchen draw and played " split the kipper" in the garden.

This is a game similar to what Red mentioned, involving throwing a knife into the ground to get it to stick, then reaching out with one foot to touch it. First one to fall is out.

Oh lordy! I've just thought; to determine who had first throw, we often used to use a proper beer bottle top, one with all those incredibly dangerous sharp edges round it, for a heads or tails toss up-

again of course; the risk of being blinded by the sun, as you followed the arc of the top as it spun or indeed, knocking heads as you bent down to see the final result of the toss!

That's me scarred for life and I just never realised the trauma I had suffered:dunno:

On a more serious note:

Without these rather well educated, scare mongering tosspots; we'd be totally unaware how dangerous life is :confused:

R.B.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I found a Bowie knife under my favourite climbing tree when I was a nipper, took it in the house feeling dead chuffed with myself and it turned out to be one that an older bother had lost ages ago:)

Obviously we took it in for safe disposal after consulting the bomb disposal unit:)

Looks like Norfolk a nice place to live though if that total non story makes it into the news.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE