Spyderco Woodcraft handle. Pic heavy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
I should have more pics taken earlier, but I started this about a year ago and got a new phone since then!

There's lots of tutorials out there so I'll keep the banter to minimum and let the pics do the work.

This is the S30V steel Spyderco Woodcraft Mule, bought years ago, and like all Spydie Mules, has no handle fitted. I had some spare Tufnol so off I went.
Cut out the rough shape, drill through using the knifes' holes as a guide, cut your rods and lanyard tube to length (brass in this case).

BEFORE you clamp and glue, make sure ALL the work on your slabs at the blade end is done, you will not be able to get into there once glued to work on it without sctratching the blade.
Rough up the surfaces and glue with two part epoxy. Clamp up and wait.

a7e6y3an.jpg

ypuva3ym.jpg

Ok, now shape up the profile down to the steel. I used a linisher where possible and a file and Emery to finish off. Close and neat as you can, and keep it square to the blade.
WEAR A FACE MASK. Some handle materials are nasty.

qu7adu6u.jpg

8e2y3u2a.jpg

Decide on the approximate shape (profile) of the handle. You can see that hand shape is a consideration here, also taste in handles, type of use envisaged and hand size.

u5y5ete4.jpg

ahanudy3.jpg

asehy5ud.jpg

y8abytab.jpg

vu7etunu.jpg

Showing a simple rig for holding the blade as required.

y6ygetav.jpg

Check fit regularly, you can't put material back on.
Aim for symetry unless you are making a "handed" knife.

When you're close, sit the blade handle horizontally and round the edges with a strip of Emery, using a "shoe shine" motion.
Thinner strips will be best for the small radii.

9a6upanu.jpg

It should begin to look like this.

Refine the abbresives untill you get the finish desired. This is no show knife so I stopped short of some folks goals.
I finished with Scotchbright.
Then apply gun stock oil to let the weave and layering sing out!

azavy8u2.jpg

Remember think safety, and think twice, cut once! Thanks for looking.
Phil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice work on the scales - but I still find myself thinking "what kind of idiot company drills a pointless hole in a fixed blade knife?"

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You're not alone in that, although it is their trademark I guess.

Except it isn't - their trademark logo is painted on the blade. The hole was originally the one handed opening function on their folding knives - it makes no sense to then carry the "spydie hole" over to a fixed blade knife. Indeed on my Spyderco fixed blade knife there is no hole ....they have since started adding them, but they were not there on the same knife originally (Moran featherlight drop point)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Cracking job phil,love the shaping of the scales and like tufnol myself.
Excellent job done so now make a sheath for it;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Except it isn't - their trademark logo is painted on the blade. The hole was originally the one handed opening function on their folding knives - it makes no sense to then carry the "spydie hole" over to a fixed blade knife. Indeed on my Spyderco fixed blade knife there is no hole ....they have since started adding them, but they were not there on the same knife originally (Moran featherlight drop point)

You're preaching to the choir. But that's the reason they do it. It's the "spydie hole". It's even trademarked.

Phil B

Settler
Jan 28, 2006
Beverley, Yorkshire.
Cracking job phil,love the shaping of the scales and like tufnol myself.
Excellent job done so now make a sheath for it;)

Thanks mate. I made a quick n dirty Kydex one but it lacks style and skill!

thanks all for the kind words, I'm pleased with what I learnt doing it.

As to the hole, it doesn't annoy me, and you're correct about the trademark afaik. It started with the clipit knives all those years ago.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Thanks mate. I made a quick n dirty Kydex one but it lacks style and skill!

Its a good shape for a kydex sheath to get a hold but classy enough for a leather sheath so either will look good.

Pm sent

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think the hole is a registered trademark, as they took another company (benchmade) to court for having a hole in their blade too.

Info here..
http://www.assistedknife.com/index.cfm/fa/subcategories.main/parentcat/29189/subcatid/69879
Benchmade saw fit to disregard Spyderco’s trademark on the round opening hole with several models they introduced. I believe that those who attempt to justify their continued support for an ethically bankrupt company use arguments that are unsupported by the facts to assuage their consciences and defend their morally reprehensible position.

Though as i understand it, it only applies to folders as a design feature for opening the blades, and on fixed blades... its just a pointless hole.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh yes - a round hole - that clearly was something Sal Glesser invented - its not like drills have been making round holes for millenia :rolleyes:. Ahh well - I'd rather have one of your Mark :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE