Springer air rifle recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I am in the market for a sub 12ft/lb springer for some light pest control.

I was looking at these two: https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/a...ington-pest-controller-kit-22-air-rifle/29607

Would a .22 be best for things like rats, grey squirrel and woodpigeon? I'm a bit torn between the stopping power but larger arc of .22 vs the slightly flatter trajectory of .177.

Anyone have any insights? Does that rifle look decent enough? I don't want anything too fancy, I do full bore at a club so not that interested in using it for anything other than pest control in my back garden, so ranges less than 20 yards.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have an old BSA Supersport break-barrel that I've owned for over 30 years and still use. I've probably shot more greys with that than any of my other guns. Despite having a PCP and an underlever air rifles (as well as shotguns and firearms) I still use the Supersport for simple around-the-house shooting; and I can still get spares for it after all this time.

Having said that, a new one is now well over £200, so for what you want, I think either of those guns will do the job.

Choice of calibre is a bit subjective - for short range I'd stick with .22 personally but I know several shooters that won't shoot anything but .177

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've had 3 in .177 but my gut feeling is I prefer .22
The trajectory is more loopy but the shot cycle tends to be softer for a given power. Easier to handle ammo if you're blessed with sausage fingers too. If at all possible then try some guns out from friends or at a club so you can get a feel for what you might prefer. Pellets are cheaper in .177 so that might be a factor, depending on how much you're planning to shoot.

Reactions: CLEM and Chris

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well I went to the local gun shop today and had a good look at a few.

Came home with a Weihrauch HW99S in .22. Lovely feeling rifle and made by our German friends, so no concerns about build quality. Should be more than enough to miss some pests with.
Gun for life that is, Weihrauch are top of the line springers, superb rifles.

Reactions: Chris and scruff

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

I was looking at these two: https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/a...ington-pest-controller-kit-22-air-rifle/29607

Would a .22 be best for things like rats, grey squirrel and woodpigeon? I'm a bit torn between the stopping power but larger arc of .22 vs the slightly flatter trajectory of .177.

Anyone have any insights? Does that rifle look decent enough? I don't want anything too fancy, I do full bore at a club so not that interested in using it for anything other than pest control in my back garden, so ranges less than 20 yards.
Weihrauch air rifles. German and pretty much as good as they get you can pick up a good 2nd hand one for a decent price and it will outlive you.

Reactions: Chris

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

I hadn't even noticed that that you had already bought a Weihrauch when I posted my recommendation. Good choice. Can you post a picture please? x

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I hadn't even noticed that that you had already bought a Weihrauch when I posted my recommendation. Good choice. Can you post a picture please? x

Sure! Took one yesterday. Can take more tomorrow, but had a beer so no touching firearms tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 39

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
£300 including optic, slip and a tin of ammo. The jump in quality feel between the ~£100 cheaper ones and this really were night and day, so thought I would be better buying something that'll last.
100%. job done. you have got that for life and can recoup every penny if you decide to sell. superb choice

Reactions: wickerman

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Took a couple of visits of trying different pellets and getting the rifle set up to my liking, but today’s trip to the range was pretty successful. Think I’d be confident with some pest control with this setup now - 10 rounds in that target.

Attachments

• IMG_4596.jpeg
    IMG_4596.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 22

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
It’s all about accuracy with a sub 12ftlbs air rifles, try lots of different pellets to find out what suits the barrel, I’ve been out of the game for a good while now but I’ve yet to see a rifle that didn’t like AA Fields. If your barrel liked Falcons then great, as those were very light for a .22 and have a very flat trajectory. There’s probably lots of new stuff out there now though in the ten plus years since I shot competitively or hunted. One thing that won’t have changed is the need to put the pellet in the sweet spot for a humane end for the quarry, from my experience as long as that can consistently be achieved calibre didn’t matter .177 .22 or .25 all did the job. I never owned a .20 but no doubts just as effective as the other more popular calibres.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE