Air rifle recommendations...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
We often seem to get a few people on here who are just getting into air rifles and want an honest nudge in the right direction for their budget.
I won't cover the calibre choice argument as we will be hear a lifetime.

A good option to the new buyer is the second hand market, be it a springer or pcp they are after. These at the very least will not have VAT on them and you often have the bonus of getting a full set up for a reduced price.

many companies are worth looking into.

These include

Air Arms
AGS
BSA
Cometa
Daystate
Falcon
Gamo
Logun
Raug Diana
Theoben
Webley
Weihrauch

I'm sure there a few I have forgotten.

Springers:
Air arms - all AA springers are top quality British air rifles.
The TX200, TX200HC (hunter carbine) and pro sport are all very good. accurate but they are heavy which may not suit some shooters.

AGS - this company surfaced out of no where a few years back with a very cheap and robust spring rifle which by all accounts was quite good. But this seems to have disappeared from the market entirely which is a shame as it was about £140 and of a good quality. the SR1 and SR2 are the springers they made - SR2 being better.

BSA - Again a good British maker. they tend to produce smaller lighter guns and use their own make of barrel as opposed to the lothar walther barrel used by many companies. I believe they all feature a safety catch and are superbly accurate.
check out the Super sport, Lightning - and all Lightning variants.

Cometa - a budget Spanish maker - they make cheap and basic guns. they do the job and with a little care are good guns. Though I would say that if you have the cash then it is worth spending a little more.

The 300, 400 and 400 Fenix are the full power models.

Gamo - another Spanish company - they made my first ever gun - A Hunter 440. a good gun - accurate and powerful they are IMO a better make than Cometa. They are still reasonably priced and have a number of models.

Ruag Diana - I have never personally handled one of these but I am told they are very good.
Heavy, robust and accurate.
They have more rifles that you can shake a stick at and are well worth a look. I must say that If I wanted a springer - The Ruag Diana 56 TH would be at the tippy top of my list.

Theoben - probably the most expensive of the "spring" guns - these are also a British maker and use a Gas ram power source. this means there is no twang and I think they can be quietened with a good moderator.
The Evolution, SLR are the two models - though these have many variants.

Webley - some excellent guns here. The old exocet is a good little gun, As is the Stingray and higher end Longbow.
I believe these are now all made in Turkey as Webley nearly went out of business a while back.

Weihrauch - a German maker - They produce some excellent guns.
The HW 35, 57, 77, 80, 95, 97, 99 are all worth looking at. The HW90 is a gas ram model similar to Theoben models but is much cheaper :D

as for PCP's -

Air Arms - good light weight PCP rifles. not a fan personally but the models have improved vastly over the last few years. The new ones are the s500 and s510. - be wary if you own both a .177 and .22 version of this gun however as the mags are interchangeable and will bugger up the gun if the wrong one is used. (saw it happen)
older models include the 400 series and the s200 which was a fantastically accurate little gun. its only downfall for me was its small size. other than that a superb gun.

BSA - they make the legendary Super 10. a Buddy bottle gun which has stood the test of time. by al accounts a great gun. They also do the smaller and lighter Hornet and Scorpion. The Hornet has an unusual cocking mechanism but you do get used to it.

Daystate - Well I own one of their guns and it hasn't let me down since - despite peoples concerns of the magazine I have never had a feeding problem in about 4 years of ownership.
They now have a good range of guns - the X2, MK3 and MK4. not to mention the buddy bottle Air wolf and Air ranger. Also the newer Huntsman (based on an older model with an update) and Meryln.

Falcon Originally an American company now owned by Air Arms. They are fantastic rifles and are very pretty. something a bit more unusual. The Prairie Falcon series has many variants.

Logun Another American company - they make the Sweet16, and several others. - many people swear by them but I have never been convinced.

Theoben - One of the best PCP makers - as with the super ten the use a buddy bottle design bar a few of their rifles. The Rapid, S-tpye, E-Type and MFR are all very very good high end guns. Theoben is the company I would choose for my next gun.

Webley
The Raider 10 is a very nice gun - very well balanced and a nice size. Webley also make a number of two shot rifles, quite unique.

Weihrauch the HW 100 is truly a beasty rifle - very accurate and a 14 round magazine. If the shop had had one in stock I would currently own one. Very heavy though - so not for the smaller shooter.

Recommendations? for a new rifle with a budget for just the rifle...

under £150 -

cometa 300
Gamo Hunter 440

Around £200
BSA Lightning/ Supersport
Webley Exocet/ Stingray
Weirauch HW 57 / 99

£250 - 350ish

Webley Longbow
Weirauch - most models fall into this price bracket
Air Arms TX200 models, Pro Sport

£350 - 500
Ruag Diana models
Theoben Slr/ Evolution

above £500 = custom stocks etc.

PCP's

Below £500
Air Arms S400/ 410
Bsa Scorpion/ Hornet
Webley Raider 10

£500-600
Daystate X2
Falcon Models
BSA Super 10

£600 and above
Theoben Rapid, S-type, MFR
Daystate Air Wolf/ Ranger
Parker Hale Pheonix

Apologies if that is all a load of rubbish - I was up at 4 this morning. I have only really touched on the main air rifle producers, there are more out there which are a bit more uncommon and as such harder to get hold of.

Atb
Andy

Last edited:

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
i would like to see the HW 97k added to the recommended list as its one of the most accurate rifles you can get strong an well built with bang on the money legal power the only *fault* if you can call it that is that they are a tad on the heavy side without a sling.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Weirauch - most models fall into this price bracket

that is meant to recommend all models. -

sorry chaps - was pretty damn tired (still am) when I typed this out. the 97 is a good gun - I used one for a wee while.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You can add silencers to gas rams, but as with springers, they can not quieten the noise of the ram or spring slamming forward which will always be loud to the shooter as the noise happens inches from your ear.

This noise isnt anywhere near as bad from the quarrys end though, silencers dont do that much to help either. But they do add extra weight to the muzzle which helps with recoil so they do have uses.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
bought a gamo ,610, yesterday for £60 cal.22 .
the man i bought it of had shot no more than 40 pellets through it its like brand new , i dont like the fact that some bits are plastic i.e the trigger guard etc,but thats because iam used to haveing more expensive guns.
I like the fibre optic sights on the 610 i like fixd sights never been much of a scope man myself,people say that gamo are nogood what they dont no is bsa bought gamo out the gamo 610 is now called the bsa comet:).
iam picking up a bsa lightning next week from kent iam geting it for free as my mate has bent the barrel iam just hopeing the stock is not cracked:rolleyes:.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Nice article, well done. I've got an AA S410TDR and a HW97k. I think it's also worth raising the subjects of sights and pellets:
- Sights: The more you can spend (generally) the better. With a firearm I'm told you should look to spend the same on the scope as the rifle; air rifles don't suffer the same recoil issues, but having upgraded from a £20 unbranded scope to a £175 Simmons, the difference is incredible.
- Pellets: Don't attempt to mix & match ammunition. Find out which one is best for your rifle, either by searching user groups or buying a multi-pack and a chronograph, and then stick with it. People talk about different pellet shapes for different tasks, but my experience is that if you can put a pellet behind a rat's ear at 30yds, it doesn't matter a damn which shape the tip is! Go for accuracy every time.

Tobes

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
the man i bought it of had shot no more than 40 pellets through it its like brand new , i dont like the fact that some bits are plastic i.e the trigger guard etc,but thats because iam used to haveing more expensive guns.
I like the fibre optic sights on the 610 i like fixd sights never been much of a scope man myself,people say that gamo are nogood what they dont no is bsa bought gamo out the gamo 610 is now called the bsa comet:).
iam picking up a bsa lightning next week from kent iam geting it for free as my mate has bent the barrel iam just hopeing the stock is not cracked:rolleyes:.

Sounds like he pulled the trigger with the barrel broke and cocked.

I once did it when my thumb was putting a pellet in the breech. The pain was unbelieveable.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

actually I think it is Gamo who bought BSA. lol. A lot of the BSA stuff if made over there now.

with regards to optics - yes you definately get what you pay for. a good idea with springers is to use a one piece mount. this provides a more secure hold on the scope.

Also the recoil is different on a springer - it travels forwards rather than backwards on live rifles. this can eventually lead to damaging the scope - as most are built to withstand the backwards recoil.

Andy

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i am a theoben fan and ok HW, but i would like to say that a airarms S200 is a very nice gun and very good value, you can buy it as a single shot and when you can aford it buy the multy shot kit. one of the only gun's you can do this to. mine was in .22 with mod and it was spot on. only gun i wish i had not sold. carl

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
On another forum I've been offered a Stingray or a BSA Lightning for what seems an ok amount.

Which one should I take??!
If its a British built Stingray I'd take the Stingray as its a much better rifle than the Lightning.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'd say take the stingray. find out how old it is. - if it is over 3-4 years old I think it will be British made - though you will have to google when Webley started making them in Turkey.

atb
Andy

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
One in my collection is a BSA Ultra multishot. Its a PCP, and shoots around 40 shots on a charge, has a 10 round magazine and has one of the easiest cocking systems i have used.

Im surprised nobody has said about theoben rapids, i have a tactical, and its one of the nocest handing guns iv used, and holds a fair few shots in the buddy bottle

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
One in my collection is a BSA Ultra multishot. Its a PCP, and shoots around 40 shots on a charge, has a 10 round magazine and has one of the easiest cocking systems i have used.

Im surprised nobody has said about theoben rapids, i have a tactical, and its one of the nocest handing guns iv used, and holds a fair few shots in the buddy bottle

I've used the ultra - again too small for my large frame but the lass who owned it was happy enough.

Rapids are mentioned in my first post bud. ;)

Andy

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I shoot a Mk1 SuperTen in .22 with Optima scopes, bought it second hand a couple of years ago and it hasn't missed a beat! Absolutely brilliant bit of engineering, would love to shoot .177 but can't bear to part with this gun, pellet drop is a 'mare but I just keep my range to 30m whilst shooting quarry and I'm yet to miss. On the range it consistently puts single hole groupings at 35m with AA Field 5.52.

As far as recommendations go I think you've added all the main ones, good point on hunting for a second hand one too as theres a lot of bargains about. Oh and the HW100K... one day... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE