Air rifle recommendations...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

This noise isnt anywhere near as bad from the quarrys end though, silencers dont do that much to help either. But they do add extra weight to the muzzle which helps with recoil so they do have uses.

All sound moderators work to a degree, it just depends on how much you want to pay and whether your rifle can take one.

Both you and I have a Pro-Sport, most people think that what they see of the pro-sport barrel is actually a barrel. The barrel of the pro-sport is a nine inch bull barrel that sits within the moderator which is what people see. The moderator on the pro-sport is very effective at ranges beyond 20 yards.

At the same time I have seen moderators fitted to other springers that appear to do nothing at all.

Also a poorly fitted or poor quality moderator can drastically effect the accuracy of any rifle as it effects the stability of the projectile.

In the end you can spend a fair amountof money on a moderator that may infact reduce the actual performance (accuracy and power) of a perfectly good rifle, sometimes your better of just leaving be unless the rifle has been customised specifically to take one.

This isn't meant to be a go at anyone, it's just saying that it's worth considering before making the choice to buy a moderator.

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
also any of the new bsa guns made in turkey are rubbish out of the box they need tuning to be any good. the birmingham made ones are spot on though

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
also any of the new bsa guns made in turkey are rubbish out of the box they need tuning to be any good. the birmingham made ones are spot on though

I thought it was only Webley who made guns out in Turkey?

since when have BSA been out there? -Thought the were made in Spain these days.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Webleys are made in Turkey.
Bsa make the parts in Birmingham and ship them to the gamo factory in Spain to be assembled.This is one of the reasons BSA quality has slipped,instead of one man making and checking a rifle they are now built on an assembley line where quality is taken for granted(wrongly).

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
Hi guys,

Get down to your local Airgun club, most people will be more than happy to let you have a good with their guns. Its a great way to find out pros and cons of many makes and models at one time from owners/users of the guns and not people trying to sell them to you. Also most clubs will have people selling airguns, pellets and all manner of related airgun items.

Pellet group buys can save you a small fortune.:)

Now the serious bit.

The most important thing to remember is safety! and equally the law!!! If you take your airgun out with you, you will need public liability insurance and written permission from the land owner to shoot on there land. failure to do so could see you arrested for ARMED TRESPASS.

Never take your airgun out hunting unless you are 100% sure you will hit what your aiming for and kill it cleanly. The only way to be sure of this is practice.

hope that helps point people in the right direction.

regards Chinook

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Dont know if this will go through or not but i heard on the radio today,that Scotland has been given the go ahead by Westminster to bring in its own laws regarding air weapons(think the talk was of a ban),damn it just when i was thinking of buying one, i sold all my old ones on ages ago but recently id thought about getting back in to it.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Dont know if this will go through or not but i heard on the radio today,that Scotland has been given the go ahead by Westminster to bring in its own laws regarding air weapons(think the talk was of a ban),damn it just when i was thinking of buying one, i sold all my old ones on ages ago but recently id thought about getting back in to it.

Appears you are correct:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10149102.stm

Banning air-guns has been bandied about for years now. Of course, it'll be an unworkable and impractical law, considering a) the number of completely unpapered air-guns already in place and b) Scotland's undefended southern border. I wouldn't be surprised if such a ban is pushed on the rest of the Union in time, after the law's ineffectiveness is blamed on England (a bit like the Mexican drug cartels' gun supply being blamed on the USA's domestic gun-owners).

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
an airgun ban is pretty pointless - it would be just like the brocock ban - thousands upon thousands of recorded rifles would simply disappear overnight.

waste of time imo.

Andy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
True in some way's, eg hard to enforce, prisons full so where do they put illegal airgun holders, no real way of knowing who does and doesnt have one, on the flip side if a Mp thinks it will get him votes he'll vote for it, get caught and get a huge fine good way of making money, and it does have quite a big backing in some parts of Scotland.

S

skegs

Ive not owned an air rifle for a long time and am not too sure the laws on them now.
Im in Scotland (Edinburgh) and am looking to buy one for hunting rabbits, does anyone know where to buy air rifles these days?
Cheers

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Ive not owned an air rifle for a long time and am not too sure the laws on them now.
Im in Scotland (Edinburgh) and am looking to buy one for hunting rabbits, does anyone know where to buy air rifles these days?
Cheers

Gunshops and private trade only thes days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE