Spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I oiled up a few spoons today which had been laying around for some time, and thought I might post 'em up. The Birch I made last weekend in the woods, in heavy rain! I am pretty rubbish at spoons, but by gum it's a great way to pass the time by the fire. The bulbous-ended rhododendron at the top is the first spoon I ever made. I've carved many more but gave them away. When you get into the woods for a weekend (sadly not as frequently as I used to), there are few better ways to focus the time than to hunt out the right piece of wood for a spoon and then get to work on it. The forest in which I camp has been left to run wild and there's barely a yard between saplings so it's easy to harvest without feeling guilty. Plus, we have minks and otters. (Where we camp is by a river.)
Anyway, hope the pic comes out.

Attachments

• Corfe Spoons.jpg
    Corfe Spoons.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 86

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Nice looking spoons, I was wondering how you got on with using a large knife, the worst knife I ever used for making a spoon was a bear grylls survival knife I only did it as a personal challenge.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
The knife is a Shing Bushcrafter. I've made neater spoons with smaller knives, but all the ones in the pic were made using it.

I got to the point where I was taking three or four knives into the woods every time and got tired of it so decided that the Shing would have to do everything - and to be fair it is a superb knife - I could start a whole new thread on its merits.

I still have a Lance Ockenden necker which I would love to take into the woods with me, but luckily I have to make the final thirty miles into the forest by bus and on foot, so I really have to get by with the minimum of kit. The axe sits in the gap between the main body of the rucksack and the side pocket, ( I have a Karrimor SF 45L), and I cover the head with a fabric bag.

The Ockenden is superb for spoon carving, but I made a deliberate decision to leave it behind. I take the Shing and a svord peasent, which is only for food prep, and that's it. I want the spoons to be functionary - given time I can make them pretty, but I that's not really the point for me. Also, it's partly a budgetry measure - I have a knife purchase problem!

Last edited:

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Interesting range of woods and nice rustic spoons. I wouldn't have thought of using pine.

I tend to use a biggish knife most of the time, too. Generally my Mora companion. Might have to change it to something more discrete as I'm about to move from Dartmoor to Cambridge and expect to do at least some carving by popping down the road to Jesus Green or suchlike when I can't get out of town.

Cheers,
Leif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE