Spoon without a spoon knife thing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2011
Scotland
Is there any way of making the bowl without having to by a curvy knife thing?

I could obviously just knock up a rough thing with the point of my knife but it wouldn't be very good.

I was thinking i could just knock up a bowdrill and use friction to make a bowl.

Is there an obvious solution i'm missing?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Is there any way of making the bowl without having to by a curvy knife thing?

>>>

I could obviously just knock up a rough thing with the point of my knife but it wouldn't be very good.

<<<

Is there an obvious solution i'm missing?
  1. Yup
  2. Yup
  3. Lots and lots and loys of Vee-cuts (using tip of knife) to get the basic bowl shape ~ then smooth with locally procured materials / ember / sand paper (or type)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
When I'm out with just a penknife I make a spatula instead of a spoon, and I put a bit more cous-cous/rice/pasta/whatever in whetever I'm making so it stays on there. :)

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/898/spoon12099740.jpg

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/5102/spoon22138728.jpg

I'm having trouble posting photos still so there's the links. I did this spoon with the re-handled Mora #1 in the photo. It was made in Poplar. I started with a hefty triangular wedge from the woodpile and carved the bowl first in the center of the material, then carved out a spoon around the finished bowl. By carving the bowl in the middle of the wood blank I was able to have a decent handhold on both ends and flip the piece back and forth as I worked out the depression. You just have to work backwards instead of making a spoon-like object and deepening the bowl make a bowl and then carve a spoon around it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE