spoon-sap problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
Hey all

I have just finished the basic carving of a spoon, and as I don;t have a spoon knife, I decided to try to coal burn the bowl. I have encounterd one problem however, as I am using pine, the heat melts the sap witch then comes out of the sides. Is there any way to help cut down on this??
Thanks

-CS

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
depends on the kind of spoon. before the introduction of crook knives we used to burn the bowl then use a rock as sand paper to smooth it out. even sharpened a teaspoon and used that like a scraper before.

pine is soft enough though i wouldn't have thought it would take much burning. when you say sap do you mean sap or resin? sap is just the wood drying out but the resin will taint the wood falvour wise.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
I dont know.. but m pretty sure its resin.. it takes a while to burn, but its the first thing ive ever burned, so really i have no idea

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE