spoon oil?

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I have a small spoon (cherry) for a littl 'un and wondered what was best to soak it in?
I dont want it to be left witha strong flavour.
So i thought, sunglower, veg or olive?

I have some tung oil which is for choping boards and food safe etc but thought it might taint a little?

Also for making spoons for kids are there any woods to go for or avoid - wouldnt want to make a mistake, i have Alder, Rowan and Sycamore to work with at present.

Sorry guys im sure this is covered on here, but i just cant get that search to come up good!

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Any of those timbers are fine, just avoid Yew.Sycamore and Beech are regarded as the best timbers for food utensil use as they are tasteless and thus impart no taste on the food.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Any of those timbers are fine, just avoid Yew.Sycamore and Beech are regarded as the best timbers for food utensil use as they are tasteless and thus impart no taste on the food.

Yup Rosco is correct on the YEW front, a lot of folk avoid using yew due to its poisonous reputation and the fact that in folklore it is considered a tree of death. But the wood is safe to use though best left to season. Incidently though most folk avoid them the flesh from the arils is edible though don't eat the seeds inside you could die. That said some folk do have a reaction so some of the experts on here RE "tasters" input would be good.

See http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm

I find them quite tasty but always limit myself to only a few.

Goatboy.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
I on the whole do not oil my spoons, and just use them as they are. I am sure this is what our ancestors did, and after years of use they pick up a beautiful patina. The only reason to oil in my view is aesthetic.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I do not oil spoons I intend to use there is no need. If you buy and factory made wooden spoon for cooking it will not be oiled.

As long as the woods you have are green they will be OK Sycamore will be hard to carve when dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE