Tung oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Water and pressurized air injector pumps cost here Eur 30, what you get depends on your water temp, 100 mbar absolute is even with warm water. There is no doubt that the more air one gets out of the wood the more oil can get in and the deeper it goes. It depends on what one wants. I have done it both ways and surface warming works quite well on large objects, "vacuum" - actually meaning low pressure in this context - does give a better result on small ones.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The oven method is fast, effective and very economical. In most kitchens, nothing odd-ball to buy. Oven, veg oil, cake rack, sheet pan, brush. Charles' Law predicts success.
There was no justification to make this any more complex than necessary.
I carved and finished 70 spoons and 30 forks. $0.15 wood cost, 90 minutes and $12.00 each in the market.
I quit at 70 as it became a chore and a bore and I don't care to carve another spoon for as long as I'll live.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
The oven method is fast, effective and very economical. In most kitchens, nothing odd-ball to buy. Oven, veg oil, cake rack, sheet pan, brush. Charles' Law predicts success.
There was no justification to make this any more complex than necessary.
I carved and finished 70 spoons and 30 forks. $0.15 wood cost, 90 minutes and $12.00 each in the market.
I quit at 70 as it became a chore and a bore and I don't care to carve another spoon for as long as I'll live.

Just finished a sycamore burl bowl with the oven method, cheers RV I did indeed see the bubbles it really takes the oil on upon cooling thanks for the advice

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE