Spoon carving vid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
arghh ,i was cringing at that .he has got good skills,but that axe was was one slip from loosing his fingers or even his hand.and theres no use saying it wont happen.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Yep, he's pretty handy with that axe but his techniques do look a little risky though maybe there isn't any risk at all with the way he's doing it... I don't know.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yep, he's pretty handy with that axe but his techniques do look a little risky though maybe there isn't any risk at all with the way he's doing it... I don't know.

Apples and oranges isn't it? Seems impossible that a professional race car driver can drive around a track at such scary speeds but they do it with great skill for extended lengths of time. Definitely not for the average driver even if the track is empty and I'd say using an axe like he does is not for the average woodcarver. However, I have to admire him for his great skill.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All I can say is that it was brilliant, yes the axe work wasn't for the faint hearted and no doubt he has had a few nicks in the past but you certainly have to admire the way he works!

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
I love watching other people work, even when I have made hundreds of spoons myself, you can always learn something new.
I would never teach beginners some of the axe techniques I saw him use, but as an experienced user I would be quite happy to use the axe how he did. It is the same with a knife I cut towards myself at lot, but would only ever teach intermediates or advance groups these techniques. An axe or knife for me is like an extension of my hand, what I do may look dangerous but I know that the stops or limits of knife travel are in place, I cannot cut myself, these techniques can only be acquired through time and experience.
Every time I use an axe I automatically think bloody hell one chop and I could loose a finger, that makes me focus properly with all my attention on my work.
Always think what will happen if I slip and then make sure you cannot.
Mind you 2 saw cuts would have saved him a lot of axing time on the shoulders of the spoon

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Apples and oranges isn't it? Seems impossible that a professional race car driver can drive around a track at such scary speeds but they do it with great skill for extended lengths of time. Definitely not for the average driver even if the track is empty and I'd say using an axe like he does is not for the average woodcarver. However, I have to admire him for his great skill.
Spot on......awesome skill with an axe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE