Fruit wood for spoon carving.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Looking to source various fruit woods for spoon carving.
I'm very much a beginner, living in an urban area and not requiring huge amounts and sourcing decent green wood to practice on is proving somewhat difficult.

Any hints or tips gratefully received.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Put a wanted advert on your local freecycle and Facebook marketplace?

Find a local tree surgeon.
Have tried the 'local ' tree surgeons, they weren't very helpful or interested in supplying the small amount or various types that I want. :(

Last edited:

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Or a local log supplier? They should have wood laid up drying out and might be willing to let you have some

Sent from underground

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Or a local log supplier? They should have wood laid up drying out and might be willing to let you have some

Sent from underground
Again same problem as tree surgeons, not really interested in the small amount I require or prepared to sort the individual species, ie Pear, Apple, Cherry, Mulberry etc

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’m not surprised they’re not too interested if you’re being particular.

Perhaps a different approach is needed.

For a log supplier, can you ask if you can have a look through?

For the tree surgeon, ask if they will save a few suitable size bits if they get the right tree then drop you a text. Drop Them a case of beer round and have a chat.

I’ve never paid for any logs for turning, burning or carving. You just need to keep your ears open and keep putting feelers out every now and then.

Reactions: Bhod and Kepis

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Ask again in winter when most pruning of apples and pears would normally take place. I had a load of pear but I gave it to my sister who is a wood turner.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have tried the 'local ' tree surgeons, they weren't very helpful or interested in supplying the small amount or various types that I want. :(
Listen out for the sound of chainsaws and shredders and go see them whilst they're processing the tree. I've usually had good luck that way.

The other way is have a wander round after storms for fallen branches.

Out of Curiousity why do you only want to limit yourself to fruit woods? Those are usually the hardest to source due to limited number of trees.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Listen out for the sound of chainsaws and shredders and go see them whilst they're processing the tree. I've usually had good luck that way.

The other way is have a wander round after storms for fallen branches.

Out of Curiousity why do you only want to limit yourself to fruit woods? Those are usually the hardest to source due to limited number of trees.
Not limiting myself as such, but I do have an easy supply of Beech, Birch, Oak, Ash etc it's the fruit woods I'm having difficulty sourcing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE