spit roast..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
we are looking to do a hog roast this summer.. anyone have plans for a spit roaster and or links to a cheap one.

i have access to welding equipment and know how.. and i guess the design isn't too complex but thought i would see what you guys know about the topic.

:cool: (please can we have some more smilies)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I don't know anything about the equipment but I do think there are some weird new regulations about who is allowed to do hog roasts, and I don't think you're allowed to leave the head on now!

Cheers,

Dave

PS - Don't forget the apple sauce!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
that sounds like a weired rule.. considering there are still people who eat offul(sp) everywhere we have looked in to buying a suckling pig have not said anything about taking the head off.. anyone have any info on this?

also has any tips/tricks on the cooking?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I only know what a chap doing a hog roast at a fete I attended a couple of years ago told me when I asked why the head was missing.

Good luck with the search.

Dave

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
tomtom said:
we are looking to do a hog roast this summer.. anyone have plans for a spit roaster and or links to a cheap one.

i have access to welding equipment and know how.. and i guess the design isn't too complex but thought i would see what you guys know about the topic.

Tomtom

One of Hugh Fearnley whippingcreams books has a set of plans for a hog roast spit in it.

I can't recall which one but I'll look it out later and let you know.

Basically his idea is that you have 2 seperate fire baskets that are on either side of the pig as it roasts - you get a more even heat and you don't get clouds of smoke from the fat constantly dripping on the fire.

I'm thinking of trying when the next of my pigs go for slaughter.

Strangely enough I just had to answer the phone while I was writing this post, it was one of my mates who said he had a pig roast with some of his friends last night - they put it on a spit made of rebar and took turns at turning it over an open fire for about 5 hours. Said it was excellent.

George

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I had a hog roast 18 months ago at my wedding reception and they left the head on. One veggie guest was a bit put off when my 4 year old nephew asked for the ear and walked aroung chewing on it.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
The ear is one of the best bits (but let's not forget the chitterlings).

If you are going to eat the beast you should eat everything. Why do it the discourtesy of leaving bits that are no longer fashionable?

Even your vegetarian friend should appreciate this :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think being veggie they disagreed with killing it at all and the 'unfashionable' bits were just too much.

I agree with you totally however. The cheek is very tasty and ears are just like crackling.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
tomtom said:

tomotom, his site has good info and also photos and is from the UK. It should hep you on the way:

Rob's UK Pig Roast Page.

There is some good info on the whole process including cooking times, methods, organisation etc. here:

Food For A Feast

another really detailed site here:

Choosing a preparing the roast

Another well presented site but be warned it is not for sensitive souls or veggies :D

Spit Roast Pig / Hog Roast

Do make sure you get it cooked properly because raw pig can kill.

I am struggling to find a site with plans etc but probably because most people use a long scaffolding pole ;)

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Make sure you do the honourable thing and keep the person who is turning the spit supplied with ice cold beer. Its a hot and thankless task otherwise.

I've never spit roasted a pig but we did a lamb a couple of years ago. Stuffed with garlic and rosemary then basted with a redcurrent jelly whilst it cooked. Served with saffron rice if I recall correctly (memory of that evening is pretty vauge as I turned the spit for a long time and thus consumed heroic amounts of cold beer...)

simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE