Spider ID anyone please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Folks.

Spotted this handsome little beastie trying to sneak its way into our house earlier today. Anyone know what it is? It only has 5 legs, so looks like its been through the wars a bit. :)

It was perhaps a little larger than a 2p coin.

Cheers
Mark :)

P1010468.jpg

P1010469.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That is the nursery-web spider, Pisaura mirabilis. Distinguished by the yellow central stripe on the cephalothorax (front half) and habit of standing with the front two leg pairs very close together (right side of spider only, due to having lost three legs). Also the pointy abdomen. This specimen is a female, and looks in reasonable nick despite being leggily challenged :)

That is one seriously battered spider! Probably not fully adult from the size you indicated.

Very common beastie, but very nice, and not usually a house spider unless it wanders in from the garden.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
nice to know what it is, but i wish it would hurry up and disappear from the front door!

Just pick it up and move it. It would be happiest in some long grass, and is very unlikely to bite, even if you used your hands. I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in picking up one of these, or with letting a small child handle it. They are very placid.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
She won't go within 10 ft of a spider. money spiders are "cute" apparently, even though they are one of the few species that can bite.:rolleyes:

Cheers harvestman, i used to really dislike spiders, never feared them but my mum did and i think that made me very wary of them. Lately though im not, i find myself intensely curious about them. I had a giant house spider jump on me a few months back, no bother, just caught it, put it in a jar and took it outside. This was the bugger, its leg span was as big as my palm.

Soz Rach, you wont like these lol

P1000612.jpg

P1000609.jpg

Just pick it up and move it. It would be happiest in some long grass, and is very unlikely to bite, even if you used your hands. I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation in picking up one of these, or with letting a small child handle it. They are very placid.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a male Tegenaria, almost entirely legs. They can bite, but usually won't. Lovely pics.

They can run like blazes, but once they run out of steam and slow up a bit they are easy to handle, and are a great way to show children that spiders are not scary, since that is abut the biggest spider you are likely to see in the UK.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I do find them fascinating. The web that spider is in isnt its own. I put it down outside and it run up the wheelie bin and got caught in another web....dumbass lol. So i used the opportunity to grab these pics before it broke free.. Biggest spider i have seen in the UK. Nothing compared to the ones in French Guiana though.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Spider's are evil, don't care what anyone says :p

and he may have said 'no bother' with the one above, but he did scream like a girl and jump a mile when I said it was there on his shoulder! ;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Oi, perfectly natural reaction to having something jump on your shoulder that from that position looks to be the size of a small car.:p

Spider's are evil, don't care what anyone says :p

and he may have said 'no bother' with the one above, but he did scream like a girl and jump a mile when I said it was there on his shoulder! ;)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I have great sympathy with male spiders in particular.

There is a myth that the female spider will eat the male after mating.
It is isn't that she won't eat him, it is the 'after mating' bit that is the myth.
Unless he's careful she will just eat him.

Generally speaking the female is bigger than he is, and thinks he bears a close resemblance to lunch, and she's always hungry. He has to get close enough to mate with her.

Male spiders generally don't live too long.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah its one that always made me wonder why we still have spiders :)

Thinking with their loins lol, not too dissimilar from humans then :p

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I could never have one as a pet. If i did, i would need another pet that was able to eat it if it ever escaped lol. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE