Spare a thought for those doing the OMM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I think "if its a miserable few days" they should chill out, enjoy the scenery and not turn the great outdoors into a competition,

On the other hand if they are enjoying it, well, thats what its all about and I'm happy they are happy.

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its their own choice to do this, so Im not inclined to spare a thought for those in self inflicted misery!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I climbed a few hills last year in the lakes, i think it was skedor when a few of those types of guys flew plast me :eek: Fell runners i think they were, here is me draggin my panting carcas up the hill and they fly by like its a walk in the park :eek:
Was so tempting to trip one of them up :D

Certainly not my cup of tea but fair doos its a slog by the sounds of it!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hope they are OK, shame on the organisers for not having the balls to cancel in the first place. Shame on those who also went ahead and competed, none of them, event organisers or competitors, seem to have any sense!

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I'm not going to judge those who are taking part,at least not today, I've made a few mistakes myself.

Wouldn't want to be out there thats for sure. Hope everyone makes it ok.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
It's always tough to turn back, especially when it is an event many people build their training year around it. If it was me I would have wanted to race. I respect the OMM, and those who do it are generally the best. It's an international event, many will have been out in worse.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
The news is not looking great this morning.

Hopefully all those taking part who didn't make it to schools etc overnight have the experience to get into their bothie bags and get some high calorie food down their necks through the night.

Cheers,
Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Apparently all are now safely accounted for, which is good.

Yep and good to hear they are all ok, now lets hope they put their hands in their pockets and dig deep when it comes to dontations for the mountain rescue fellows !

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I'm glad they are all OK, it does raise the question of how light should lightweight camping go. My own thoughts are that a lot of them are ill equipped for when things go bad. Remembering back to my first introduction to the hills we were advised full change of clothes always carry sleeping bag etc. Kit has changed over the years but the dangers have not.
jon

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm glad they're ok. It seems that through their kit and their wits they all were.

I seems that not one competitor has spoked out against the organisers.

I sincerely hope noone gets cold feet about running this sort of thing in the future on H+S grounds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE