Spare a thought for those doing the OMM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Not sure what all the fuss in the media was all about. These were all experienced fell runners/walkers who were not forced to compete, at any point they could have binned the event and gone home if they wanted. The kit lists they have to carry would allow them to survive most if not all the foul weather thrown at them as has been proven by the fact that all returned safe bar one I believe who was treated for broken ankle, which to be honest out of 1700 competitors isn't bad. PodcastBob has done a wee write up on backpackinglight.co.uk and as he was actually competing I am more inclined to believe him that the BBC reporter with the "no product placement here" Berghaus jacket standing next to a swollen river.

Now if I could just find a step ladder to get back off this soap box.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
I'm really surprised at the people on here being influenced by the media's (if there's not a disaster lets make one up) and a few sensationalist headlines on a slow news day. If the competitors are not aware of and prepared for the dangers then they shouldn't be doing this sort of activity in the best weather, They're all grown ups and as far as I can tell they all took the correct action.. dig in ride out the bad weather and resume when possible. according to the Metro 2500 competitors and only 13 runners treated for Hypothermia and injuries. I shouldn't think that's all that different from a summers weekend in the lake district. If we all start blaming the organisers and the participants pretty soon there be some bright spark pushing through some legislation that says you have to have a qualification to walk in the wilds and events will only be organised by the government.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE