Spalted birch kuksa (Picture Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
B E A U T I F U L L

The matching spoon is a great touch too.
Spalted wood can be unhelpful when turning, tearout wise, I expect it is no less so when carved.
Oil wise do a search on here as it is a bit of a tricky one dependant on allergies, uses etc I think Robin Wood posted a comprehensive guide but have read where Kuksa's are boiled in sea salt brine to aid drying then "treated" with coffee and schnapps and oiled on the outside only.
Rob.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Here's a link to some images of the start of the carve. Plus a crappy one of its first use.
https://plus.google.com/115269913725230286657/posts/LZAXyTNiBTL
a6a8yga7.jpg

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Ah, I misunderstood. I've made a start, and a split in the handle has already caused a change of plans, but so far so good.

PVA the split, clamp it up. Then you're good to go.
Also, I'm quite excited to see somebody else's carving too. I'm sure you'll do just fine harvestman.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I took a different approach and carved away to one side of the split, removing the wood and going with the shape left. It should be fine. Fun project to do. I'm trying to do it all with hand tools.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I took a different approach and carved away to one side of the split, removing the wood and going with the shape left. It should be fine. Fun project to do. I'm trying to do it all with hand tools.

That's the spirit, it'll be worth it in the end.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
I like this very much. I just recently finished my own spalted wood project and I to found the grain changed alot while I carved, you have a nice peice that should serve you well.

Mike I have faith that you will do a great job just remember to keep your tools sharpe, hope to catch up with you soon.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
So, given my current addiction to carving kuksa right now, and that I managed to find some more suitable bits to use, I thought I'd show you a couple more I'm working on. This one its going to be for my missus. Still a lot to do though, thinning out the sides, maybe narrow the handle a little.
ymypedeb.jpg

6e5yjutu.jpg

my4utuhy.jpg

y8usa6yn.jpg
9e2yhyba.jpg

yjetahe7.jpg

py3uvy5e.jpg

This one is for a mate in France, pretty much complete, but I'm thinking of making the handle a bit slimmer too. He's got huge hands, and I deliberately made it larger, but not sure if its too large.
raqapegu.jpg

uzuhuzun.jpg

pyjepa2u.jpg

nu4amevy.jpg

2utegutu.jpg

je3y7evy.jpg

bu4ejyve.jpg
esu9upyg.jpg

7aje6u9y.jpg

Handles
edu6upyd.jpg

All advice, criticisms welcome.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lovely work there, you've got the hang of finding and using really nice wood; I don't think you need much advice, the things you've mentioned are down to personal taste and judging from what you've done so far, you're not going to go far wrong, eh? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE