Spalted birch kuksa (Picture Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Those are really wonderful, and really don't help my confidence at all!

Mike, you'll do brilliantly I'm sure. I must say that I've learnt a lot just by cracking on, and having a go. I think the first one was a bit of a fluke in how it turned out, and if you could hold it in your hands, you'd see its by no means perfect, not by a long shot. My cutting with the spoon and carving knife have improved over the past month, plus the length of time I can carve before my hands ache has increased. I did expect this to some extent, and I'm chuffed with the results. I keep saying to myself, after I've been at it a couple hours, that I need to fashion a leather thumb pad for my left hand. I find that using it to add to the pressure of certain cuts is a must, but it stings a bit after a while and a leather pad would allow me continue longer. I do tend to work through the pain though, which normally causes me to have to rest the thumb for a day or so.

Anyway, keep at it. I can't explain the feeling of satisfaction on using one I've made from scratch, you'll see yourself soon.

Thanks for all the support and kind words guys. I really appreciate it.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Great Kuksa quietone. How long was the Birch on your log pile before you started carving, I am looking to produce some spalting of my own and am looking for a rough estimate on time, also what part of Wales are you from?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Great Kuksa quietone. How long was the Birch on your log pile before you started carving, I am looking to produce some spalting of my own and am looking for a rough estimate on time, also what part of Wales are you from?
Thanks. I'd say about six months or so. I'm in the Swansea area.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Evening chaps.. Did some reduction to the walls, and handle on the missus's tonight. Oiled the outside with walnut oil, and so I fell in love with spalted birch all over again..
6ume2adu.jpg

nugynatu.jpg

yvy4u2em.jpg

zydehapy.jpg

6ysyny3y.jpg

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Aye, I'm starting to wonder if I've got some sort of problem.. Showed it to the missus, she likes it, but she's not into this sort of eye candy. I think she's just humouring me a little.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Those look amazing mate, really good work! I have a big old birch burl in my back yard which came down in a storm last year. Just wondering if its carvable...
Hey. I've no experience with burls, there are folk on here that have though. I would imagine that the grain on a burl would be all over the place, and might prove a bugger to carve. But that would also make them very interesting to carve, and I think they would be less prone to splitting. I've only had one split so far, on the ones I've carved from the spalted stuff, and that was just a little one on the handle. If your burl is very dry, it will be hard to carve. How long has it been in your yard?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey chaps, I wondered if using spalted wood for a drinking vessel is safe? Yes, this is something I should have considered before I made them, and drunk from them :banghead:
I understand that the effect is caused by certain fungus, and a moisture levels etc, but are these fungi a danger to human health? I've looked around the interwebby, but there is conflicting talk regarding how safe spalted wood is. I can find no mention of spalted wood drinking vessels. ?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hey chaps, I wondered if using spalted wood for a drinking vessel is safe? Yes, this is something I should have considered before I made them, and drunk from them :banghead:
I understand that the effect is caused by certain fungus, and a moisture levels etc, but are these fungi a danger to human health? I've looked around the interwebby, but there is conflicting talk regarding how safe spalted wood is. I can find no mention of spalted wood drinking vessels. ?

I think the answer strictly is no, spalted wood is not regarded as food-safe, which is to say it would not pass a food industry standard. However I also think that the risk is low, especially if you finish the piece with a finish that seals the wood, such as walnut oil or a lacquer. I'm going to do mine with hot walnut oil when I finish hacking at it, and I'm intending to use it thereafter.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I think the answer strictly is no, spalted wood is not regarded as food-safe, which is to say it would not pass a food industry standard. However I also think that the risk is low, especially if you finish the piece with a finish that seals the wood, such as walnut oil or a lacquer. I'm going to do mine with hot walnut oil when I finish hacking at it, and I'm intending to use it thereafter.

Thanks, after reading what little there is regarding spalted wood, I also came to that conclusion. I just didn't want to take a chance with health. I made one for my other half too, but I won't let her take the risk.
What brand of oil, and method will you use?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I heat ordinary food-grade walnut oil from a supermarket in a jug, until hot but not boiling (about 3 minutes in a microwave) and then either sit small items in it for 5-10 minutes, or pour it over larger items. It does darken the wood a little, particularly if you leave it in for a soak, but walnut oil dries to a seal, unlike most oils. Just beware of nut allergies.

As my pseudo-kuksa looks like it has a split in it I may also go for a melamine lacquer on the inside of the cup.

An alternative approach is to buy a specified food-safe finishing oil from a woodwork supplier (available easily on ebay etc).

Basically, if you seal the wood, there is nowhere for the spores to get out, so the wood should be safe. I like the hot oil treatment as it should also sterilise things with the heat. In any case, I would say that the risk to health is very small to start with.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
That sounds a more thorough method of sealing than what I did to my first one. I merely wiped it on a few times with a cotton cloth. Would you say that immersing the cup in the hot oil for a longer period would make any difference?
I read a little about salad bowl finish, not sure I want to give the cup a varnish-like surface though. Walnut oil is the way to go I think.

Sorry to hear that your block is split, my last one has a split half inch or so on the handle but it has not got any worse. So I'll leave it be. Thanks again.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That sounds a more thorough method of sealing than what I did to my first one. I merely wiped it on a few times with a cotton cloth. Would you say that immersing the cup in the hot oil for a longer period would make any difference?
I read a little about salad bowl finish, not sure I want to give the cup a varnish-like surface though. Walnut oil is the way to go I think.

Sorry to hear that your block is split, my last one has a split half inch or so on the handle but it has not got any worse. So I'll leave it be. Thanks again.

No point in giving a long soak really, as that can just make it greasy. The oil cools quickly, so the initial heat is anti-fungal, and some of the air and water in the wood is replaced by oil, giving a better seal, but after a few minutes you are not really achieving much.

Be aware also that if the oil is really hot there is a risk that the wood will split from the shock. I've only had that happen once, but on a thicker piece like kuksa the risk is there. Apart from which, you will need a lot of oil to immerse a kuksa, so I would just go for pouring hot oil over/into it. Hot oil isn't necessary though. A simple wipe over with walnut oil will also seal it. I just like the hot oil effect.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
No point in giving a long soak really, as that can just make it greasy. The oil cools quickly, so the initial heat is anti-fungal, and some of the air and water in the wood is replaced by oil, giving a better seal, but after a few minutes you are not really achieving much.

Be aware also that if the oil is really hot there is a risk that the wood will split from the shock. I've only had that happen once, but on a thicker piece like kuksa the risk is there. Apart from which, you will need a lot of oil to immerse a kuksa, so I would just go for pouring hot oil over/into it. Hot oil isn't necessary though. A simple wipe over with walnut oil will also seal it. I just like the hot oil effect.
I also wondered if hot coffee and tea would reduce the coating of oil on the inside? I guess subsequent applications would be good thing to do also?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE