Upcycled knife sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've been unhappy with the sheath on my mora 106 for a while now, it tends to fall off easily, it's kind of big and clunky too, which is ironic considering the quality of the knife itself- I was hoping to be able to harvest some decent amounts/lengths of birch bark to make a simple folded sheath but no such luck so far.

Luckily we had a few pallets arrive at work with some rather wide, strong strapping which was a perfect substitute for birch bark, and it's nice to be able to find other uses for single use plastics. Together with some thinner strapping for the binding, it makes a very snug and durable sheath!

20221102_172016.jpg20221102_172031.jpg20221102_172047.jpg20221102_172256.jpg

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
How do you hang it onto your belt?
I don't to be honest, I'm not a fan of dangley stuff! I'm sure the thinner strapping could be woven into a much larger sheath just like it can be done with birch bark if you require something for the belt though :)

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I like that very much, genius.

I've had the same issue with finding birch bark, and the same issue with the Mora sheath. I've stuck a strip of inner tube through the belt loop bit of mine to go over the top of the handle. It doesn't fall out now. Not ideal, but hey.
I don't wear it on my belt anyway. But it's still a clunky, cumbersome, ugly thing.
If practical.
Top bit of upcycling! I think I might need to give that a go. In the absence of birch bark, I was wondering what I could use, and you've answered that, cheers!

It looks good too.
Nice spoons btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
[/QUOTE="punkrockcaveman, post: 2024225, member: 49610"]
the thinner strapping could be woven into a much larger sheath just like it can be done with birch bark
[/QUOTE]
Not a bad idea!

Last edited:

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
View attachment 77004

One for the 106 and the 120, on there way to @Brizzlebush , they are in the post now mate.

I've got a spare long one for the 106 if anyone wants it. I'll cover postage I don't want any money for it.
Nice work! Thanks a lot mate.
Let's hear it for eco knife sheaths! Get that etsy shop open.
They should be harder to lose than the ones I've got.

Nov 13, 2022
Edinburgh
Fantastic! I've given it a follow, I'll be ordering a Mora 120 sheath when you get round to making some more.

I love doing stuff like this myself, I've made a few Ikea utensil holder stoves for pals (think Mark Young on youtube was the first to come up with those) and I'm in the process of making a wood gasifying stove that Simon, a bloke in the woods (again on youtube) came up with, made from old tin cans.

The MYOG subreddit is quite good for stuff like that as well sometimes, I recently made some "greenland wax" to waterproof my canvas breeks and rucksack. Just in the nick of time for this time of year, some weather we've been having.

• Love

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Fantastic! I've given it a follow, I'll be ordering a Mora 120 sheath when you get round to making some more.

I love doing stuff like this myself, I've made a few Ikea utensil holder stoves for pals (think Mark Young on youtube was the first to come up with those) and I'm in the process of making a wood gasifying stove that Simon, a bloke in the woods (again on youtube) came up with, made from old tin cans.

The MYOG subreddit is quite good for stuff like that as well sometimes, I recently made some "greenland wax" to waterproof my canvas breeks and rucksack. Just in the nick of time for this time of year, some weather we've been having.
@Yomigi fresh strapping has arrived and been rescued today! So I've updated the shop with the 120 sheath :)

I completely agree, the thing is, some of the plastic we waste is so robust and strong, is should have way more usefulness. I need to figure out what I can do with the offcuts. A mate has a plastic welder, I wonder if something could be done...

Yep made my own wax proofing stuff too, a mates mum has bees, the wax is brilliant, it's great for all sorts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE