Spalted birch kuksa (Picture Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
So I've now got a cord or so of spalted birch after being lazy and leaving out a pile of birch logs longer than I intended. I brought a couple pieces with me to France, and yesterday evening, and this morning was spent fashioning a kuksa. I love the grain and colour of birch, but spalted is just beautiful I think. I left some bark on, thought it was right to do so. No sanding, just axe, Mora hook, and carving knife. I took a few photos of the earlier stages too, which I can post when I get back to blighty, if anyone is interested.
5uju8u8y.jpg

u5equba8.jpg

ejaje9ar.jpg

This one is now finished..
044fb2801329a80bead6ed51d0fbd433.jpg

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks chaps. I really enjoyed carving it, it was a real privilege for me. At each stroke of the knife, the spalting pattern changed, it was really satisfying.
Nicked my digits in three places too, until the missus shouted at me to put my 'special gloves' on or we'd end up paying the excess on our travel insurance.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a lovely shaped and worked kuska Quietone, and the bark and spalting really set it off. Anyone would be proud to own/drink from that. Would love to see the whole process on your return. Really is something to look out for.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm in Wales, and I'm tempted to be interested in a bit of that wood, to see if I can do it some damage and bash it into a vague kuksa shape. I will PM you.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the really kind words, I am rather surprised it worked out okay to be honest. I will definitely be making more, that's a certainty. I wish I'd brought more wood with me.
I will be oiling it, but I'm not sure what to use, any suggestions gratefully received.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE