Southey & JonathanD's Epic Knife Test Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
arent the holes on the front of the grip supposed to allow you to make a spear out of it, maybe you should do some spear type tests, if nothing else that sounds like some fun experimenting, plus if you can come up with some way of making sure you can reptrieve it later you could chuck it into some bushes and see how easy it is to find, to see if the orange has any real practicallity or not, maybe get on of those whistley beep key finding things,

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The holes are there to lash it to a pole. Although the spear idea is a bad one, as you will most likely lose or damage your knife. I think the most useful aspect of this so so you can put it on a length of wood and cut fruit or high growing fungi that is out of arms reach. So demonstrated by this plucky youngster...

[video=youtube;M0Wh2Mfjzd0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Wh2Mfjzd0&feature=re lated[/video]

Reactions: PoppyD

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'll make a list of things people want to see done/tested with this knife. I'll do the fun and easy ones, and Southey can do the mega difficult stuff :lmao:

1. Batonning
2. Feather sticks
3. Chopping
4. Rope cutting
5. Game prep
6. Fish prep

Please copy and paste the list with any add ons, and we'll do our best to do them.

Is the BG knife waterproof down to 1000 meters?

I can't fathom why folk buy this knife...

Liam

• Haha

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hah, brilliant afternoon I had. Bashing and cutting and bashing and.. well, ya know. Boys with toys.

I've read all the posts on here and other forums, and tried to answer some of the questions, and use some of the methods you wanted to see (however dodgy). So here it is. Part TWO.

I went back up to those woods again, because they are so quiet and dense, so no passer buy would wonder what kind of weirdo goes up and does questionable things to an orange knife. I made loads of noise. Those deer won't be back for weeks.

I was intending to do some more fine work and make some traps etc. But what's the point, you can see it's capable of doing work like that, so it was time for some hard use, and a certain amount of abuse.

Ahhh, beauty and the beast (if anyone says I shouldn't call my knife a beast, then you're gonna get some poo in the mail).

20Aug20119.jpg

Right then, what first. Making a spear 'n stuff. I used the knife only, to cut down a wrist thick tree suitable to make a staff/spear...

20Aug201110.jpg

20Aug201111.jpg

20Aug201112.jpg

20Aug201113.jpg

Yeah, did that OK, in fact it was easy. Made a right old noise though. No wildlife today then.

Chopping off the branches was easy as the pommel flaress out so you can get a really good chopping action. Went through branches up to 2cm thick in one swift swipe.

20Aug201115.jpg

I also discovered that there was a third grip in between the regular one and the pommel grip. Useful on a parang and larger knife, so not sure what, if any, benefit it has on this knife.

20Aug201116.jpg

At this point, I should mention that chest lever and other grips were very comfortable. There is a slight indent on each side of the grip were the thumb rests scurely for the chest lever. Not sure whether it is by accident or design, as this is the place the sheath clip locks in. Cool accident though. I did make a note to complain about the top guard which would normally drive me mad and get in the way. So far though, it hasn't, so I can't moan.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So with about nine foot of straight, and very sticky wood... why did I chop down a pine? Covered in sticky, icky goo!

Spear time.

20Aug201117.jpg

I tried to be realistic and confine myself to a shoelace length of paracord for this...

20Aug201120.jpg

Using just the two lanyard holes and the curved handle profile, it was quite easy to secure it with a short length of cord.

I don't really subscribe to the knife as spear thing. I'd much rather sharpen the stick and use that, than see some crazed boar tearing down the game path and 40 miles an hour with my precious survival tool stuck in it. Plus, knowing me, I'd miss the boar and plunge the blade right into a big stone and ruin the point or shatter the blade. One good thing this would be used for though, is cutting inaccessable fruits from trees, or fungi like chicken of the woods, which likes to grew high up in trees...

20Aug201121.jpg

Or cutting fungi and fruits when there is shark/piranha infested waters between (you'll have to use your imagination for that bit as I couldn't find any)...

20Aug201122.jpg

Got distracted at that point by a cool skull and bones. Feline for sure...

20Aug201128.jpg

20Aug201129.jpg

20Aug201135.jpg

Big feline...

20Aug201131.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So, next up - batonning.

I used a two inch diameter piece to start off with...

20Aug201145.jpg

Easy, no drama. Time to scale up...

20Aug201146.jpg

20Aug201147.jpg

20Aug201145.jpg

No drama again, edge still 100%, so what next?

Well..

Someone on BcUSA did mention a crazy thing called a bush hammer....

20Aug201139.jpg

They said if it can drive nails home and stand a good battering, then the pommel should be OK for use on everything as a hand hammer...

20Aug201140.jpg

Sweet, decided to give them a good battering...

20Aug201141.jpg

20Aug201142.jpg

Handled that OK, no damage, felt solid. Time to scale that test up, just in case it was a fluke. Glad I made a long handle from that pine. Nice and heavy, perfect for two handed use. Although, kinda scary on the back swing when that blade is coming at ya. A good five feet of sharpened pine stave here, being hammered hard, two handed into the forest floor...

20Aug201143.jpg

Bashed it in a good 18 inches. Hammered the finish right off the pommel, and left impressions in the stave. I bashed it that hard, I can't get the debris out of the pommel grooves. Even after coming home and scrubbing it, it's not coming out...

20Aug201144.jpg

I have no question as to the strength of the MKII pommel now. If it can drive nails and stakes into the ground, with two handed forceful swings, it can manage a few nuts, crab shells and limpets etc. Epic.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
After it handled those tests, I decided to go on a bimble and find something big to baton. I took my hammer handle with me as the bashing bit as it was nice and weighty. I did find a nice seasoned, thick log. It was about three and a half inches in diameter, possibly too wide as there wouldn't be much of a tip to hit on. But nothing ventured...

20Aug201150.jpg

Kinda stuck here, so I pulled it out and reversed the log.

20Aug201151.jpg

Not much of the knife tip showing as the baton I was using is quite thick. So the very tip took most of the force. Make or break time for this knife.

20Aug201151.jpg

After this point, I got into the rhythm and it went through nicely with some heavy swings of the baton...

20Aug201152.jpg

20Aug201153.jpg

Now, that was cool. I looked at the serrations for damage, as they got most of the initial force...

20Aug201154.jpg

Nothing at all, no damage. I think this knife could possibly do everything most people would want. I even tested the edge (I haven't once sharpened it since it came). Not the edge I am used to and had to work on the angle, but using the serrated part, It was just as effective as a plain edge. No difference. Job done. I need to work a little more on the angles to get the feathering as curly and fine as I can with my own knife. But these are serviceable.

20Aug201155.jpg

I'm actually impressed. I really hit hard on this knife to try and deliver some tests that would be too much for the knife, but it passed and even the hardest critic should be impressed. This is actually one of the nicest knives I've used! Yeah, I said it!!! It still looks like an orange pile of poo, but looks aren't everything. Ask my missus. It's all about performance and doing the job when it's needed. It does.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm actually impressed. I really hit hard on this knife to try and deliver some tests that would be too much for the knife, but it passed and even the hardest critic should be impressed. This is actually one of the nicest knives I've used! Yeah, I said it!!! It still looks like an orange pile of poo, but looks aren't everything. Ask my missus. It's all about performance and doing the job when it's needed. It does.

Hahahahahaha.

Great review JD.

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
In all seriousness though mate. This knife just keeps on surprising. When Southey has finished polishing it, he can get it to you for a play if you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE