Souping up Sloe Gin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Does anyone here do anything to their Sloe Gin to up the Alcohol content back nearer to the 40% mark or in general is it not needed?

I have just made up 2 litres worth but starting with 37.5% by volume Gin I would imagine I will end up with a finished product between 25-30%? I think without tasting it that I would like something a little stronger?

Oh and a neat Sloe picking tip, use those plastic zip-loc sandwich bags as they hold about a pound of Sloes give or take an ounce.

Steve.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Why would you want it back at 40% ish? The only way to do that would be to re distill it, and the exciseman will not be best pleased with that! Any sloe gin/brandy/vodka that I have had (at around 25% a.b.v.) has been perfectly acceptable drinking.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The drop in ABV is due to Osmosis. A fluid will try to balance the level of anything it contains, salt, sugar, or alcohol between the two differing levels.
So Sloes with zero alcohol and the Gin with 37% to 40% are out of balance. The semi permeable membrane of the sloe skin will allow alcohol molecules to pass in to the sloe flesh. When you remove the sloes you are taking out the alcohol. But if you put the now high alcohol sloes in to something with a lower alcohol level (like cider) the alcohol will come out in to the cider until it is all back in balance. Your cider will become stronger (cider at 13%AVB will become something like 16- 18%ABV) once they’ve been in the cider for five or six weeks you remove them and add to a crumble or ice-cream. There by not wasting any alcohol at all.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the drop in abv is due to osmosis. A fluid will try to balance the level of anything it contains, salt, sugar, or alcohol between the two differing levels.
So sloes with zero alcohol and the gin with 37% to 40% are out of balance. The semi permeable membrane of the sloe skin will allow alcohol molecules to pass in to the sloe flesh. When you remove the sloes you are taking out the alcohol. But if you put the now high alcohol sloes in to something with a lower alcohol level (like cider) the alcohol will come out in to the cider until it is all back in balance. Your cider will become stronger (cider at 13%avb will become something like 16- 18%abv) once they’ve been in the cider for five or six weeks you remove them and add to a crumble or ice-cream. There by not wasting any alcohol at all.

holy nom nommity nom!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
just add the fruit as a garnish and eat them! I did that with the blueberry whisky. As Southey said - nom nommity nom! :D

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
OK I will leave it alone.

I thought the % of alcohol went down because you are adding more volume in the way of sugar and juice thus diluting the alcohol?

Steve.

Sep 27, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Top up with Polish Spirit or a high proof Vodka or Gin if you feel the need for a stronger tipple. Or even use it instead of gin in the first place. I think the slight lowering of proof adds to the flavour anyway.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do not see a problem with the alkhol % falling - I do not drink to get smashed, just relaxed :)
If I can enjoy a pleasant drink that is low proof then it means I can drink longer before calling it a night...
One of my pet peeves is that the best tasting real ales tend to be silly strong - meaning I need to quit drinking before I am bored with the flavour!
If you want to get ratted stick to neat rubbing spirit - cheap and effective I am told....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE