Sorbus aucuparia for a bow drill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris68

Feb 27, 2011
Norway
Anyone ever use Sorbus aucuparia (Rogn in Norwegian, possibly Rowan in English) for a bow drill?

I gave it a shot; got a lot of smoke and black powder, but I never got a coal:censored:. I usually use Willow with good results, but I've been experimenting with other species lately.

Any thoughts?

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi Chris,

I have tried using Rowan before on a few occasions but with no luck. I ended up with lots of smoke also but no viable ember.

Maybe its just not the correct type of wood...

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i think the reason would be because the wood is to hard, if you tried with a harder bace board that might help......

worth a try..

regards...

chris.

davidjwbailey

Jun 26, 2011
Bedfordshire
as it happens I was just in the Pitt Rivers Museum of Ethnology (behind the Oxford Natural History Museum) and they have a fabulous display of 'used in the real world' fire drills, bow drills, fire saws and raffia ribbon ignitors.

the first thing I noticed was that all the drills were really a LOT fatter than I was expecting - better cord grip and less cord wear, I think.

no idea of the woods - mostly tropical?

from my forestry back ground, I would go for willow (dried), sycamore (dried), ivy (old, dried), larch

rowan is very hard, and does not 'dust' or crumble much, so I suspect ok for drill, not for board

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE