A battery-powered workshop lamp recommendation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

We moved down to the rural south west two and bit years ago now. It sounds daft, but I had no idea just how dark the garden and sheds etc would be at night. One night, shortly after we moved in, I arrived home on the KTM, and on switching the bike off I realised I couldn’t see anything. Not even my hand in front of my face. Pitch black.

After that, I made sure that I would always have light in the workshop, and I bought one of these:

Diall 23W work lamp at B&Q.

When I got it home, I gave it a full charge and put it in the workshop. It works really well, and I generally only need to use it on half power as it is so bright.

Today, while tidying the workshop, and putting the KTM away for the winter (the shame....), I picked up the lamp, and then I realised that I had never re-charged it since. So I hadn’t charged it in 2 years and three months. Even so, it still works perfectly - just as bright as it ever was. The battery status indicator still reports a full battery even (??). I have used it dozens and dozens of times, for anything up to 30 minutes at a time. This afternoon I brought it back into the house for a full charge as a little present to it’s Li-ion batteries.

In a world where battery-powered gear is usually really over-rated by the manufacturers, this unit has been a genuine surprise. I recommend them to anyone looking for something like this.

Cheers, Bob

Edit: Looking at the reviews, it does look like the product quality slipped in the last couple of years, but mine was made in mid-2018 and works perfectly. Honest :)

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Mmmm.... that's a mains powered light you've pointed to! No wonder the batteries haven't run out :)
I know, my bad. I dont know how I managed that but I have updated the link, and added a PS :) :) My workshop doesn’t have any permanent mains installation, so I think I would have noticed the lamp being less than useful.... heh heh.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For safety in the bell tent, and more so the campervan, I bought the Sofirn LT1. It does a hell of a lot if you want it to, but the main controls I use are brightness and tint (cool to warm). This reviewer grates a bit, but he’s part of the development team so knows the light well. Mine gets a lot of use, even in the house doing jigsaws, and I’ve added a small collapsible silicone dog bowl with the base cut out to make it easier on the eyes.

Attachments

• 3A00149B-E827-431D-B368-4ADEBF9AD812.jpeg
    3A00149B-E827-431D-B368-4ADEBF9AD812.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 7

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
If you're lucky enough to use Makita 18v tools then the LED lamp they sell to use those batteries is amazing and not very expensive as a bare unit. It's the DML801 that I've had for a few years now and I can't recommend it enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE