Sooty Billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pot calling the kettle shiny?

• Don't care, just so long as it cooks my dinner

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • Will put effort in to keep them shiny

Votes: 50 13.9%
  • I think the soot adds flavour

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Getting the loose stuff of is fine, nothing wrong with a bit of black

Votes: 236 65.7%

• Total voters

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Food for thought: Some of the old off road two-stroke motorcycles with aluminum engines came from the factory with a flat black paint that was there to help radiate the heat energy from the engine. (see: crazyclimber's comment above.) Looks like that black coating might cut both ways. However, I'm thinking that if there is more heat on the outside of the pan -- the fire -- than there is on the inside -- the cooking food -- that there would be a net gain in heat to the inside. Don't really know S#@t about physics, just a guess!

Here is a cleaning tip that works pretty well. There is a plant that grows here in the U.S. called equisetium, (common name: horsetail) The old pioneer name for this plant was "scouring rush" which says it all. This plant is about a foot to two feet tall, dark green, ridged, and hollow. It is jointed every few inches and can be popped apart and used like a straw. There are no true leaves, it is a very primitive plant. There is a dark band at each joint. It can be seen growing in water, along the margins of streams and ponds. I have seen it on dry ground but very rarely. Now, here is the good part -- The walls of this plant contain silica, (sand). Wad up a handful of these and scrub away. They are abrasive but not overly so, they will not scratch or damage anything. My only problem, passing this on is I don't know if this plant grows in the U.K. Somebody might tell me, I'm curious.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Thanks, Forestwalker, It is really weird how something that is way out of the mainstream will suddenly come up for no apparent reason. Just a few days ago I was thinking about a particular place that I go to camp, and how there was some horsetail at that location. Then I read this thread and thought about it once again and so mentioned it. About two or three hours after mentioning that I did not know if it grew in Europe, I read an article about the stone-age man found in the glacier between Austria and Italy some years ago. In the article it stated that he used it to polish his arrow shafts. Then today I see that you confirmed to me that it does grow in Europe! I mean, really how often does horsetail normally come up! (Bring up Twilight Zone theme in the background - - fade to black).

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
For anyone who wants to get their kit clean Cif (was Jif) bathroom cleaner will shift just about anything off steel - smother it then whack it in the dishwasher. Anything stubborn gets another rub.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I don't mind a bit of black on the outside and don't normally clean my pans until SWMBO complains about the soot smell.

At least it means I don't have to clean them all of the time.

Phill

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I only use a Dutch oven and a fry pan. Made of iron keep them
in a Tow sack then in painters on the pack horse.

PS my oven and skillet are over 100 years old just get better with age.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Chinkapin said:
Here is a cleaning tip that works pretty well. There is a plant that grows here in the U.S. called equisetium, (common name: horsetail) The old pioneer name for this plant was "scouring rush" which says it all.
Oh ya I've heard of people cleaning pots with that before, and apparently it can be used as a fine sandpaper (I think fine), pretty useful plant! Clean a pot with some, sand down your carving and then make a straw or a set of pan pipes! Anyways... I'd get the lose stuff off so it wouldn't make a big mess and worry about cleaning them at home.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I try to keep them somewaht clean,but black doesnt bother me as long as its on outer side,the inner part has to be bit more clean,to avoid some loose poo.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I always got taught Abit of dirt never hurts, adds to the flavour

During a conversation I had with my Doctor (we were air rifle shooting) he said the world is too clean.

You don't see wee bairns playing in and eating mud etc., these days.

I asked about Botulism which occurs naturally in the soil and he said "Aye, but that's life, nature's been around longer than us. We're the gatecrashers to the party".

He's the best Doctor I've ever known, he takes the wider view, gets to know you, your habits and hobbies before he gets the saw out! :D

He plays squash (at 100 mph) in the court next to me, where I do Jujutsu.

If I break a limb etc., I've nae worries, and if he has a heart attack...

Well, I trained as a Priest and can also dial 999.

Unless I have the phone upside down - before anyone jumps in!!!

Liam

Nov 7, 2008
U.K
Nothing wrong with a bit of black My crusader must have grow a good two to three millimetres with soot over the year's but it add's to the flavour.

regards,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE