Sooty Billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pot calling the kettle shiny?

• Don't care, just so long as it cooks my dinner

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • Will put effort in to keep them shiny

Votes: 50 13.9%
  • I think the soot adds flavour

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Getting the loose stuff of is fine, nothing wrong with a bit of black

Votes: 236 65.7%

• Total voters
Hello all,
Just looking to canvas opinons here...
cooking over an open fire makes your pans go black. Now, I've never had a problem with this concept; I like the used look!
Someone recently reminded me of a trick to avoid this - simply put a thin coating of fairy liquid over the base of the pan, and the soot/tar won't stick.

Problem i foresee is that if the soot doesn't stick, then instead it goes all over your hands and your gear!

So: Shiny pan or sooty pan. Which do you prefer? And why!

As per the question - "sooty" heats the contents far better.

Who cares what it look like?

Phil.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I must admit to keeping my pans clean, I usally wipe them abit then pack, but when I get home I give them a good clean. The wife wouldn't let me keep them in the cuboard else. Besides I like to look after my kit even if its only a billy can. Another reason, try finding a replacement zebra this side of Christmas, they are like gold dust.:lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wipe mine off in the field so that loose yeuch does not get all over everything, then when I get home I put them by the sink and the house fairies do the rest......
I got the best wife in the world!
Mind you with my rep for breaking things during washing up I think self interest comes into it somewhere......

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did not have to train her - she was this good when I found her 27 years ago!
The trick has been making sure that she does not get fed up and leave:eek:
Headlines in the Western Mail
"Wife walks out on husband" "Bushcrafter dies of starvation and neglect"
How do you work an electric cooker/washing machine/vacuum-cleaner?

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I think you are about my age John going back to my school days I remember while us lads were tought metel work the girls were tought domestic science recon your wife was top of the class Nice to have a bit of freindly banter I will say no more

ganstey

Settler
I give everything the usual wash when camping, but don't worry about the soot. When I get back home I give things a better clean, but still don't worry too much about the odd stubborn bit. The only exception is my real copper kettle - once back home that gets a real good clean and a polish ;)

G

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
I'm going to have to side with the 'bash the loose stuff off and that'll do' group. I'm going along the lines of a Sigg bottle....a nice battered, scuffed and bruised Sigg bottle is worth a thousand war stories.

If i meet someone with a Sigg bottle that looks like its gone head to head with a jack hammer, the owner immediately becomes a bushcraft guru. Surely its the same with blackened (and the odd dent) pans ?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bushcraft guru's have enough lazy time to tinker with their kit ;)

I much prefer to see people generally looking after, maintaining and respecting their stuff but you can always tell wear and tear from neglect and doing it for effect.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Personally I let it get black and sooty, removing the worst before stowing my cook kit which always goes in the same external pocket anyway, so any flaky bits don't matter too much.

When it starts to get very bad the whole lot goes for a stealthy dishwash in the dishwasher when the good ladies eyes are elsewhere.

Works with my firebox too!

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I just keep the inside clean while I am out and about. I do give the pots a good rub with steel wool when I get home though but I am not fussed if they do not shine up completely. I like them to have a bit of character.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Correct me if i'm wrong but surely your food would cook quicker with a sooty billy as black surfaces absorb heat better than lighter ones, well it did when i went to school.

Black billies for me then !!:bluThinki

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Who voted? Come on, own up! You could at least add something meaningful when you vote you know, then we won't all look in and be dissapointed!

:aargh4:

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I like many others here clean the worst off before I leave and give them a good scrub when I get home. So whilst my billies are clean they are not spotless, and have a lovely patina which reminds me of all the trips and meals thay have made.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
kit will have pouches to be put in, therefore sooting shouldn't be an issue in my pack and i'll happily get the pouch black. as long as you can beat off the excess, then technically the black helps with energy absorbtion so really sooting is a GOOD thing.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Try it on your hand in front of a fire.

I did this as an experiment when I was at school. It's a long time ago now but, if my memory serves me right;

We got a piece of tin foil and painted the dull side black.
Wrap it round the back of your hand (silver side showing) and see how long you could hold your hand in front of an electric fire.
Then try it with the black side showing and note the difference in time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE