Sooty Billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pot calling the kettle shiny?

• Don't care, just so long as it cooks my dinner

Votes: 63 17.5%
  • Will put effort in to keep them shiny

Votes: 50 13.9%
  • I think the soot adds flavour

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Getting the loose stuff of is fine, nothing wrong with a bit of black

Votes: 236 65.7%

• Total voters

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
During a conversation I had with my Doctor (we were air rifle shooting) he said the world is too clean.

You don't see wee bairns playing in and eating mud etc., these days.
Liam

My kids eat worms, play with slugs, make mud pies, eat cake with mucky hands, climb trees and generally do everything i did when i was a kid before the "MUST BE CLEAN" society hit our air waves with a load of crud.

Sounds like a good doc there, a bit like mine goodjob

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
There is a guy on youtube called hiramcook who does loads and loads of tests on home made and commercial stoves and there has been a few stoves (using soy wax I think) that didn't boil the water, he reckons it is because the soy wax was creating a lot of soot on the pan which was insulating the pan from the heat.

I usually get the worst off if I'm out and then clean then properly when I get home. I've also heard that rubbing a bar of soap over the bottom of the pan before cooking helps get the soot off afterwards, must try it out!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ive done some test burning with different kinds of possible wax combustion, and the soot is incredible.
1 cm thick after one test burn.
It doubled the weight of my trangia pan!

The black colouring helps the pot absorb radiant heat from a fire, but anything more than a colouring will start to act as an insulator between the pot and fire. This will start have a negative effect.

Andy80F

Jun 30, 2010
Poole, Dorset
I wipe my usual pan down with a thin coat of washing up liquid before going out. The soot sticks but washes off real easily afterwards. Only takes a few drops to coat the bottom and sides where the flame might touch. Pity the poll does not have a choice of "Will put No effort into keeping it shiny".

Andy80F

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
After making a few small meths stoves and testing them i've found that the boil times are quicker, and therefore the stove is more efficient, with a clean billy can, but it's not by much and hardly worth bothering about.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I gave my main pot and mug a good clean this weekend. I do clean them after every outing, but only to get them clean, not to remove the caked on burn marks. Amazing the years of crud that came off after an overnight soaking in a bleach/detergent mix. Still pretty much as black as they were before, but there are some light patches showing through. I like that well used but cared for look though.

DSC07113.jpg

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I can honestly say I'm not fussed about keeping my equipment nice and shiny, bushcrafting and wild camping isn't exactly a glitzfest is it? But I suppose there people who prefer they're pots that way. Me, I use a Zebra billy can like Wayland and do the most obvious thing which is to scrub off any loose dirt and put it into a bag of its own. I put mine in a dry bag with my other fire equipment which saves you mucking up the inside of your rucksack. Even a carrier bag or bog roll would do the trick, so its not really a problem.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I like others here like my pans to be clean inside and out, I don't mind a bit of a trace from the fire on the bottom of my pans but I dislike a thick coat of soot. So like a few others I use a thin coating of washing up liquid to protect them. It makes the clean up simple.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE