Something's troubling my mind....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
tomtom said:
are we to take it that this is a perminent ban.. it has happened in the past and even recently that members who have broken the rules (knowingly and seriously) have been allowed back on to the forum.. or will this have to wait untill tony is back?

That's up to Tony. Tony own the site and he may decide to revoke the ban or he may not. The mods acted by doing what we believe to be the right thing is his absence. When he returns, he will be made aware of what has happened and no doubt look over the events and decide for himself. There are several threads of considerable length in the moderators forum. Tony will be able to review these threads and look over the decision process and make his own judgement.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Justin Time said:
as for Gary's version, read Chris's announcement and check BCUK's rules
Like one groups view and decision is enough. The announcement made is only 50 % of the truth.

I have no more to say on this matter right now, but my deepest sickness, nuff said

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
TheViking said:
Like one groups view and decision is enough. The announcement made is only 50 % of the truth.

I have no more to say on this matter right now, but my deepest sickness, nuff said

No mate, what you read is the entirety of the reason behind banning Gary. Nothing else is relevant. You're upset because your friend has been banned regardless of the reasons for it, probably as are many other people. That is natural. But it doesnt change anything and no amount of looking for evil plots will alter the facts or the history.

Your sickness will pass.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
TheViking said:

Andy.. chill out!
They are the mods.. its their job to make the decisions weather you like it or not!

im sure im not the only one who will miss Gary and hope he’s allowed back, but he broke the rules and im sure he’s man enough to take consequences!

im taking Hellz's advice! ;)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
i think some of you need to get out for once and actually do abit of bushcraft instead of sitting on a computer talking about it. oooh there is so much more i want to say there is someone on this forum who has placed their trust in me and I don't want to disappoint them, one things for sure though Gary wont be coming back regardless of what happens and I don't blame him.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I stand behind the mod's 100%. This is the best run forum I have ever been on, and I want it to stay like that.

I am stunned why Gary would feel the need to to do something like this. He has(had I might say) a great reputation, is very friendly and is much liked. He really didn't need to post those silly posts... And likely doing it twice in the same forum...

The real low point in my eyes however was the snipe at Woodsmoke...

And for you non-techies the likelyhood that Gary and white buffalo would get the same IP numbers like this for a series of posts is non-existant.

(And I have been out canoeing for most of the day already :D)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
ScottC said:
i think some of you need to get out for once and actually do abit of bushcraft instead of sitting on a computer talking about it.
That's irrelevant and confrontational :(

oooh there is so much more i want to say there is someone on this forum who has placed their trust in me and I don't want to disappoint them, one things for sure though Gary wont be coming back regardless of what happens and I don't blame him.
*cough, cough*. Shouldn't you be on best behaviour? I'd stay quiet were I in your position :rolleyes:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
ScottC said:
i think some of you need to get out for once and actually do abit of bushcraft instead of sitting on a computer talking about it. oooh there is so much more i want to say there is someone on this forum who has placed their trust in me and I don't want to disappoint them, one things for sure though Gary wont be coming back regardless of what happens and I don't blame him.

why are you so annoyed Scott? do you not see that as much as we would have liked different, there was no other option, we cant have different rules for different people not matter how well liked.

why do you feel the need to imply that members here dont get out and enjoy bushcraft? just because people post on an internet forum doesnt mean they dont spend a lot of time outdoors.

for example gary was the highest posting member on BCUK with 2,675 posts, yet no one would argue that he didnt get out and do a lot of bushcraft.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Just stumbled across this:
whitebuffalo said:
Stuart while I am sure of your good intentions in mentioning this defect might I point out that with BCUK's interest and pointed advertising of the forth coming Bushbag that you mentioned as being better in your warning you might be miss read as less than honest at least that is how it at first struck me.

That guy is too much! Not only does he use another account to promote his own products (never mind slag off competitors, etc) but he has the cheek to accuse others of doing the same!! Where's that angry smiley when you need it.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I do not need to be told how to behave by you arctic hobo especially seeing as you can get confrontational when it suits you.

Stuart, what I meant by that was I am sick of all this lying cheating back stabbing secret forums private little chats this is a place where we are supposed to be discussing bushcraft not the bloody houses of parliament why can't we all just do what we love most. I have seen so much trouble come out forums lately I'm starting to think whether they are a good idea what we need to remember is that not too get so caught up in forums that petty little arguments like this break out and just go out and enjoy the world. I'm not saying that people with a high post count don't get out because before I got in trouble I posted reguarly and still managed to get out whenever possible. People need to remeber what they come here for before judging people who haven't even been given the chance to explain themselves.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Scott
You really need to chill and come back when you're not so annoyed.

Both you and Andy run your own forums. Ask yourselves what you would do if someone you trusted, abused your hospitality in this way, ie set up another identity which was used to promote their own products and courses, had conversations with himself saying what a great guy he was and also dissed his competition. Would you tolerate this?

Andrew
aka Justin Time

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Please calm down Scott, the only person arguing here is you.

any rational person looking at the statment of why gary was banned can see that there was no other choice.

it doesnt matter what gary might say in his defence, nothing would excuse his actions.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I am not sure what I would do but I would certainly take into account all that he had done, i.e written most of the articles and reviews on the main site and pretty much being the very core of the forum activity since it started you can't deny that he has answered any question put to him and has shared his knowledge freely and willingly with anyone who asked. I think it is a very sad loss for the forums and yes I was surprised when I discovered why he had been banned but I think we should have the oppurtunity to see what he has said on the matter.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
My only comment on this is that if it was such a tough decision and if it has been going on for so long why could you not pass on all the information and evidence to Tony on his return and let him take the decision?

I am very interested to see which moderators have taken this decison and are defending it.

I also ask you what Amnesty means?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
its is a sad loss Scott theres no denying that, but what do you think Gary could say that would explain what he did?

we did take into account the imput that gary has had on the site but this does provide preferential treatment

dont forget that gary can still send us an e-mail if he has anything he wants to say about his actions

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
tenbears10 said:
My only comment on this is that if it was such a tough decision and if it has been going on for so long why could you not pass on all the information and evidence to Tony on his return and let him take the decision?
We are the custodians of this forum in Tony's absence, so that is what has been done. Once we were certain that this deception was occuring, we were obligated to act. You may see it differently.

I am very interested to see which moderators have taken this decison and are defending it.

Irrelevant! That implies that there was a personal agenda here, there was none (you either believe that - or I am a liar, you decide). You have the facts in front of you, explained in detail by Chris. The facts stand as a complete explanation and justification of what has occured. There is nothing more to say on the matter. Further insinuations of conspiracy theories or personal agendas will likely get ignored (or moderated).

I also ask you what Amnesty means?

It is precisely because Gary has been such a strong, supportive and well liked member, that this was agonised over for so long. Anyone else would have got the boot instantly. In the end it was decided that there was only one "right thing to do". It wasn't an easy decision, but a decision was made. I would think Tony would agree with the decision and let the ban stand, but he is the owner and can do what he likes, so I'm not attempting to second guess him. If he wants to overturn the decision, as owner that's his prerogative.

You are free to disagree.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Tenbears10

The amnesty was simply for having two accounts. quite a number of members have let us know about doublers which they acquired for a number of good enough reasons... problems logging in etc. Gary's ban was for how he used his extra identity to promote his reputation, his company and diss his competitors

The decision was taken by the mods who were about at the time once the evidence was firm enough, that's how modding works. It's not like this has been obvious to us for a long time. There's no point in looking for personal agendas or conspiracies.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Scott.

I'm not sure how Gary can explain his actions from what i have read. i have met Gary he is a nice bloke and i hope to share a fire with him in the future.

However he has decieved us all for his own personal gain.

Gary and the bearclaw team have enjoyed first rate marketing from BCUK that other less forum minded companies have not enjoyed.

The mods are correct to act. it is what they are there for. Tony is the law on BCUK he pays the bills and he will make the final judgement. I understand that some people have bans revoked Gary may well have his posting rights returned.

Lets hope that should he be able to post in the future he is able to admitt an error of judgement and swallow his pride and once more promote the best ethics of the activity he loves.

Perhaps some of the decision making process should be made public. Afterall any forum is more that just the admin team without the members the is no forum.

I seek not to attack anyone. BCUK has faced challenges in the past and moved forward.

Gary has faced more worries in his life than whether he can or cannot post on a website. He is a strong character and no doubt will bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE