Some winter kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
A quick look at some new winter kit.

A Montane Extreme Smock (as modelled by Gordon Buchanan whilst filming seals for Autumnwatch this week). I am very pleased with it. The thought and attention to detail which extends to build quality is superb. Hood is great. I had read that it was too warm for U.K. but not for me. I am happy with a base layer, a wool jumper and this on top whilst static (if very cold) or walking on the beach etc. Without the jumper for anything more than a bimble.
My month old Woodlore bag is hanging next to it. Lovely warm kit.

Warm hat

Hive upgrade (newly fashioned winter coat for my zebra billy next to it).

Snugpak Response Pack. I cannot believe how much kit I have managed to fit into this.
10ft 8mm climbing rope
work gloves
4 sided honey stove
laplander saw
pukko knife/falkniven stone
paracord
1st aid kit
snickers
mint cake
seven seas boat biscuits
fatwood
sak
tick remover
sigg 1ltr bott with steel cup (full of h2o)
tinder
mirror
notepad/pencil
matches
torch
hand gel
tape
talc squirter bottle (small)
hot choc
morse code guide
space blanket
emergency light
compass
hand warmer x2
step counter
room left for a shoe polish tin stove as per front page post

Winter car kit. Last year national news coverage of the road I use to get to work with 50 odd cars stranded for hours in the snow. I was lucky as I was home with a cold that night but had I been working I'd have been caught up in it on the way home. This year I'll be able to whip out the stove and make everyone a brew :cool: Kit consists of:
Lowa boots
warm socks
Swannie Mosgiel coat
base layer top and bottoms
montane hat
hestra gloves
blanket
food/water (1 itr h2o, tuna pouches, par cooked rice, beans, seven seas boat biscuits)
poncho/ground hog stakes/guylines
honey stove (the rest of the hive kit not used in response pack e.g.4 sided config. Have wood in car already)
small forest axe
matches/striker/tinder/fat wood/lighter
tatonka sherpa pot
ray mears book
michael morris friction folder
head torch
mini shovel
batteries
hand warmers x2
hot water bottle

Anyone suggest anything I'm missing?

I have this edc keychain with me at all times too.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505&highlight=

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Kitchen sink..? :)

Seriously, how about a spare flint and steel (or rather firestick) or a simple sealed clipper lighter... You know what its like, lighters always seem to fall to bits when you are in the middle of know-where!

EDIT, nope... you have that LoL!

Maybe a few of those ZIP sealed fire-lighting cubes as a back up.

After that, you look pretty well stocked.

TBL.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Hmmmm kitchen sink eh? Could come in handy :)
Thanks Dude. I do have a firesteel in there but ZIP cubes isn't a bad idea. Maybe the means to rustle up a quick White Russian too.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Mmmm... or a flaming sambuca :)

I'm adding some ZIP's to my firekit, Just to be on the safe side.

Spare blade for the laplander might come in handy too. Maybe some water purification tablets, if you dont have them already.

Regards, TBL.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How about a thermos so you can fill it up and have a hot drink without having to light the stove up every time. Talking of a hot drink I can't see that you've listed anything like tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

Also I'd go for more water than just 1 ltr as it might not be down to snow for the reason you're stranded.

Last edited:

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
I do have a nice new shiny tatonka hot n cold stuff thermos I could squeeze in. Sold. I missed out water tabs (in both bags), hot choc, tea, coffee mate and bog roll when trying to remember what I had packed. I think that's everything I hadn't listed now and all good suggestions. I would hope to have the response pack with me too which has another litre of water in it however I may fill another sigg in case I don't. I do have a 5 year old son who will need to be kept watered, fed and warm if he's with me. Thanks.

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Sure Ray. I don't know it and am learning it. With this in the mean time I can understand anything being said. I was out for an overnighter on Dartmoor last month and a group on the ridge above our camp were flashing their torches in our direction. Not the regular pattern of a distress signal or sos but neither me or my mate know morse code so wondered if they were trying to say HI or asking if we'd seen whoever they may have been looking for etc (There had been a rescue helicopter hovering nearby for an hour or so earlier in the afternoon).

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Morse codes a good 'un to learn... something i would like to do, along with sign language one-day.

Light sources at night travel phenominal distances, and have been used for thousands of years.

Fair play to you.

TBL.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Hi Zarkwon.

I was hoping you were just trying to learn it lol. Morse is all but dead in modern times, and so is usually no good at all for attracting attention as other folks cant read it (just as you said). On the other hand, the recognised six flashes (followed by three in return) you mention is known all over the world and is not dependent on language to be understood.

I have no idea if the SAR helo was rescuing anyone, but they are also often used for ordinary troop/cadet movement on Dartmoor, so are not always doing their primary role. :)

Thanks for your quick response. I was just curious :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You really can't translate morse like that, you need to learn it first and practise; most struggle recieving it; I was lucky and found it easy(ish).

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I like the Morse card; not seen it done like that before. Good for identifying an otherwise meaningless bunch of flashes
I don't think its much good for learning, though. Once you know the code (dit, dah, etc) for the characters it is, as Richard says, practice. Whether by sound or light its much easier with two people doing it.

vildor

Nov 6, 2010
Portugal - Lisbon
Hi Zarkwon.
Morse is all but dead in modern times, and so is usually no good at all for attracting attention as other folks cant read it (just as you said). On the other hand, the recognised six flashes (followed by three in return) you mention is known all over the world and is not dependent on language to be understood.

Except for a few million people around the world, but those hams really like to "live in the past" i guess...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE