Some New Old Tools

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm of to TORM (the original reenactors market) this weekend, so I've been working on some old tools and knives to take with me :)

A random selection of some of the things then. Sorry about the pictures, the light was fading fast and I had to get them taken quick!

a saw, approx 20 tpi, 1mm kerf.

a seax blade. wrought iron back with en43 edge

A claw hammer. Early ones such as this have a metal spike (big nail) running into the handle to reinforce it at the eye

SPoon augers. for drilling holes in wood

Spills, for transferring a flame

chisels, based on some 10th century ones

more carving tools, based on 15th century tools

The knives also have period correct sheaths, which means pretty thin (2mm) leather and no welts :( So these have all been dipped in hot wax to stiffen them up a bit. The wrought iron in some of them was really cruddy stuff too

Well, that's what I've been up to recently :)

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Loving the chopper with the ring commander on the back, looks like it would make an awesome camp/kitchen knife and the yew? On the small seax is truely beautiful.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
thanks folks :) I was planning to do a lot more in the way of tools and pattern welded stuff, but ran out of time early on. :(

Samon, I have a few more bearded axes to tingle your southern regions. I'll be posting some stuff up here for sale next week ;)

Baelfor, The spills are made using a 'spill plane'. It's a special plane with the blade set at an angle so that it cuts a wedge shaped shaving. They are a pig to set the tool up and the spills don't always come out as nice cones, so I end up with maybe 10% of the wood I use turning to shavings instead of spills (they still get used for lighting fires through). I often use spills to light my wood burner because it is easier that tryin to get a lighter in there and I won't buy matches (pricey, wasteful and don't like the damp)

Everything Mac, The pointy one is a single piece of high carbon and the rounded end is mild with a steel bit welded in. So both approaches :)

Angst,I may have some other stuff that I forgot to put up. And its not just my finger nails :p

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lovely stuff Dave, but I have to say that saw and especially the claw hammer really got my attention. Really nice mate. I have a take-down claw hammer head that slips onto the shafts much like those take-down tomahawks I acquire and I really like it. Your one's a treasure. I'd love to see one of those saw up close and personal one day... perhaps at the next Moot if you have one to hand to bring?

Good luck at the event and I hope you come home with the car a lot emptier and your pockets fuller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE