Some help with hanging my tarp...please don't judge my stupidity :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've got a DD 3X3 lightweight tarp (the new one), and have what seems like a really stupid problem when I put it up.

To give some quick back info, I've camped for a long time, know well how to correctly tension guys, and tend to have a little common sense, however...

When I put up my tarp, putting the midline through the midline loops ( I don't tend to put my tarp up on the bias, I have the midline going straight through the middle), I find that my tarp always ends up sagging quite significantly. I've added an extra 4 guys to the four that come with it, and no matter how I tension them, or where I place the guys, my tarp is never taut! It tends to sag between each loop, despite my best efforts. Now as you all know, this is not great for keeping it from rattling in the slightest breeze etc...

The two loops for the midline at either edge of the tarp are sewn so that they twist 90 degrees when threaded and stop the tarp slipping backwards and forwards on the midline, but this just doesn't seem to help!

I always make sure the midline is totally horizontal, so that's not causing the problem as far as I can see. I know this tarp can be used with the midline going underneath it instead of through the loops on the top, is this the only way I'm going to solve my problem?

Please don't judge my stupidity :) Any tips gratefully received.

Joy

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
What you need are tensioners - i.e. you tie a sort length of line to the loops at the end of
the ridgeline and use a prussic knot to pull the ridge tight.

From reading your post, it looks like your problem might be solved if you connect the tarp eyelets on/to the ridgeline with a prussik type knot so you can "set them" on either end of the tarp and then tie out the corner guy lines.

Hope these words suffice... no clear pics to show you, others might help here.

Grtz Johan

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Slap a bungee on the eyelets in each end. That'll keep it taught.

On a secon note i cannot undestand why one would use a ridgeline/midline in the first place. I have never had one, and the worries i would have by using one is the problem you mention here, aswell as a problem with weaar and tear if you use it on the inside.
Not to mention the stress you put on the trees where you tie it to....

I use bungees instead of guylines, and if done right, its gonna have to be a very hard wind if i is to start saggin and flapping around. Last weekend i had 5 cm's of snow on top of my bivouak, and it still didn't sag down.

Just a few thoughts on this ;)

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
On a secon note i cannot undestand why one would use a ridgeline/midline in the first place. I have never had one, and the worries i would have by using one is the problem you mention here, aswell as a problem with weaar and tear if you use it on the inside.
Not to mention the stress you put on the trees where you tie it to....

This will, I have no doubt, be another seemingly stupid question, but please bear with me :)
If you don't use a ridgeline/midline, what setup DO you use to hang your tarp? Do you attach lines to the eyelets on either side of the tarp (I actually have loops on mine, but the theory is the same) and create your central ridge with those? Or am I totally misunderstanding :) Because if that is what you mean, surely the stress on the trees is actually very similar as using one ridgeline?

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
This will, I have no doubt, be another seemingly stupid question, but please bear with me :)
If you don't use a ridgeline/midline, what setup DO you use to hang your tarp? Do you attach lines to the eyelets on either side of the tarp (I actually have loops on mine, but the theory is the same) and create your central ridge with those? Or am I totally misunderstanding :) Because if that is what you mean, surely the stress on the trees is actually very similar as using one ridgeline?

Good point, but no it wouldn't. It would if you only were setting up with a central ridge tho.
:)

As said i use bungees. They won't put as much stress on the trees barch as a static taught line would.
And when i pitch a tarp i cannot remeber when i have made a central ridge. Quite honestly i dont think i ever have.

In my kit theres the tarp, 6x tentpegs and 5x 8mm bungees with hooks at each end. Same kit as the danish army has as standard issue.
I normally have 4 pegs and all bungees in use when everything is pitched, nomatter how i pitch it.

Could be better showing, so ill see if i can get out and make a few pics of a few different setups to show it, if thats of interest :confused: ;)

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Could be better showing, so ill see if i can get out and make a few pics of a few different setups to show it, if thats of interest :confused: ;)

I'd really appreciate it if you could, though I think I undertstand a bit better what you mean now you've elaborated :) I realise what you mean about the stress on the trees now, I'd forgotten that you said you used bungees...damn my short term memory ;)

Pictures would be a great help to this lowly fool :D Thanks!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
(edit - oops - jojo beat me to it!

I also have a 3x3 DD tarp. Roefisher on this site gave an excellent article on how to pitch a tarp - (s)he acknowleded that it was based on one from outdoor idiots at

http://www.outdooridiots.com/features/200606/pitchingatarp/pitchingatarp.asp

(I cannot find Roefishesr's article but I copied it into 'word' so if you can't find it PM me and I will send it to you)

I think it was an amalgamation of the outdoor idiot article on prussiks and this one on pitching.

Even I - reknowned for getting things wrong - managed to follow the instructions - although if the trees are only a bit further apart than the tarp is wide you will be better off using two bungees - that's what I fouind anyway.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
i use bungees. They won't put as much stress on the trees barch as a static taught line would.
And when i pitch a tarp i cannot remeber when i have made a central ridge. Quite honestly i dont think i ever have.

The tension required for a particular setup will be the same for bungees and for a ridgeline -
if they are supporting the same weight at the same angle, the same forces apply (if we
ignore the weight of the line/bungee).

The reason *I* use a ridgeline with the tarp suspended from its loops is because, if the
trees are far apart, I'd rather have the tension on the line and the tarp hanging from it than
have all that tension working to rip the tarp in half. Also, once the ridgeline is set up, you
can just slide the tarp to exactly where you want it.

But it's a personal thing.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
The tension required for a particular setup will be the same for bungees and for a ridgeline -
if they are supporting the same weight at the same angle, the same forces apply (if we
ignore the weight of the line/bungee).

The reason *I* use a ridgeline with the tarp suspended from its loops is because, if the
trees are far apart, I'd rather have the tension on the line and the tarp hanging from it than
have all that tension working to rip the tarp in half. Also, once the ridgeline is set up, you
can just slide the tarp to exactly where you want it.

But it's a personal thing.

This is one of the reasons I went for a DD Tarp in the first place, as the woods around my area that are off the beaten track (where I currently do most of my tarp-slinging lol) only have a few spots available, and the trees are quite widely spaced. It seemed to make sense to have some more flexibility with positioning it, as you said.

I've spent a little while playing with Prusik knots, and have a plan of action for next time I put up my tarp - I shall post how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Also nice to see I wasn't too far off the mark with tensions etc.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I've spent a little while playing with Prusik knots, and have a plan of action for next time I put up my tarp - I shall post how it goes. Fingers crossed!.

There are many knots that will lock under tension and slide when not. This is what I tend
to use because it is impossible to lock up. In most situations, you can get away with only
two turns on the right hand side, depending on the relative diameters of the lines and the
stiffness of the line, you might be safer with three.

The other advantage is that the loose end hangs down and diverts water running down the
ridgeline. :)

prusik.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE