Some food for thought...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
Hey guys,

came across this post...

What do you think of it?

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.de/2012/04/has-bushcraft-missed-point.html

Let me start out by saying that for this post I will be using the term “bushcraft”, not in the way that I ordinarily do to designate wilderness skills, but rather in the way it is usually used these days, to designate the activity itself.

I have to be honest, when I first started my blog, I wanted to make it clear that I am not a pure bushcrafter as I saw people use the term. I am a mix of a lot of things. I don’t pretend to live off the land. I carry what I need, and have nothing against technology. Once I started writing however, I found myself pulled in the direction of what is typically called “bushcraft”, largely because I found the prospect of using natural resources rather than gear enticing. Because of that, I joined all the forums, started going to meetings, and tried to learn what bushcraft is really about. What I write about here comes from those experiences.
Well, I quickly became disillusioned with “bushcraft”. It hit me at one point last year when I realized that I was going into the woods almost every weekend, practicing skills, and then coming home, while the whole time rarely being more than an hour from the road. It struck me that I was practicing and preparing for some event that never seemed to come. Yes, it’s fun practicing to start a fire using different methods, but what was the point if I just went home afterward. I remember spending a lot more time in the backwoods before this “bushcraft” thing.
Then I started looking around and what I saw with other bushcrafters seemed to follow the same pattern. We would sit around a camp fire, not too far away from the road, split a stick or two with the latest $500 knife we got, cook some bacon and then exchange stories. I can not recall a single instance where someone said something along the lines of “Let me tell you about this trip I did crossing the Sierras with just an axe and a blanket”. The stories were always about who can light a fire the fastest, or has the best knife, or can make a fire from one stick, etc, etc.
I started wondering, what’s the point? As bushcrafters we spent a lot of time talking about living off the land, thriving in nature, relying on the resources around us, and so on. We naturally stick up our noses at those people who are “just backpacking”. After all, they are just passing through nature, while we have this deep understanding that allows us to live in harmony with it.
The reality however did not match our words. Sure, we can light a fire with a bow drill while the average backpacker can’t. However, I would look at backpackers who did extraordinary things in the woods under extreme conditions, climbing mountains and crossing forests, while we sat around the campfire talking about from where each of our wool blankets was imported. We seemed to prepare for all these extraordinary trips and adventures that those “mere backpackers” were doing; we talked about how much better we would be at it because of all our knowledge; but the trips never came.
This made me question everything I was doing. I decided to stop practicing and start doing. It seemed that we were all practicing these skills with the only end goal of impressing the other people at the next meeting. We had gathered all this knowledge that we never used other than to show others that we had it.
In the pursuit of skills, I had lost the spirit of adventure that originally drew me to the woods. I didn’t start this so I can barbeque in a camp site, carve spoons, or coordinate my wardrobe, so it looks more “authentic”. I got into it because I wanted to be like the explorers of old; travel through the woods; living with the gear I had on my back; discovering places I had never seen. I love the feeling of freedom when I know I can go wherever I want in the forest with the gear I have on my back. What I love even more than that however is actually doing it.
What good were any of those skills, if they were never used to support any meaningful experience in the woods? What good is having all that knowledge if someone else without it is doing more backwoods travel than I am? What good is being self sufficient in nature if we are always in sight of our cars?
There is no reason why bushcraft can not be used differently. For some reason, at least from what I have seen, it is not utilized in that way at the moment. And to be fair, there is no need for it to be anything other than what it already is; it just wasn’t what first inspired me to go into the woods.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
He's got some very good points.

The one thing I would disagree on is that I don't think people look down on back packers or their like.

Many here are back packers while others have different interests. One of the things I love about this place is the diversity of people you find here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think he misses the point of it from our point of view on forums and meet ups..........this place/forum/site is a social networking place. What we do out there is entirely up to ourselves and we all have different (if to a relatively common skillset) interests, and the 'bushcraft' stuff is relevant to all of them :D

Lots of us walk, canoe, camp, forage, create, craft, are seasonally active and seasonally challenged.
For most the bushcraft stuff in someways enriches even our daily lives, not just the leisure time.

It's a very broad kirk; if the individual chooses to limit his/her attendance that's up to them :D
Many are totally at ease meeting up with strangers in the woods (see Man of Tanith's quote :) ) while others openly acknowledge that that's their own idea of hell.

What I'm trying to say is that it's what you make of it, not what others make you accept.

cheers,
Toddy

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Hahaha seems pretty much spot on to me apart from as you say looking down on backpackers and peeps who actually do rough it for a living or out of necessity, there is alot of inherant snobbery though, same as with most other 'fringe', 'out of the ordinary', 'unusual pursuits', I've often been caving with guys sporting £2000 Nikons or Canons, their pics are no better and they whinge like babies when the cameras get smashed or drowned? Go figure!

Who has got the best knife? One that does the job or one that's made from Damask steel and Ironwood and costs £500? Does a hammock need to cost £200, a tent £1000, a sleeping bag the same?

Si

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i agree with that but i do think he msises the point that most folk are tied down with families etc. and so bushcraft is a cover for a social getaway, reliving pastimes, or a sort of therapy for those who are anchored but can still make the small time tae do something they love.

as for the young ones like me with little responsibilities and ties, we can bugger off and explore without excuses :)

Hamish

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Meh, not just you young uns can bugger off and enjoy yourselves, I have no ties as such and I'm almost 'middle aged' lmao depending on how long one plans to live for ;)

Si

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
It's the only reason I got away with travelling the country exploring old abandoned buildings, caves, mines and the like. Couldn't see any sane Mrs letting me disappear for weeks or months at a time to go and photograph urban decay or forgotten industrial sites. :D

Si

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
If you are spending your time sneering at backpackers you have entirely missed the point.

Bushcraft is a hobby for most of us. Like sports, or playing chess, or shopping, we do it because it gives us pleasure. There's no standard that we have to live up to. Living off the land or roughing it across country are options, not requirements.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
If it's classed as a hobby that's all good, but there are those here and on other forums who purport to know the ins and outs of an Oak trees butt yet only spend the odd weekend in the woods or a week ot two at a 'bushmoot' perhaps, with all the latest gear from tent to socks, is it not missing the point a bit to hit the local woods with £2000 of equipment for a weekend and call yourself a bushcrafter?

I dunno, it just seems to me that money is the necessary key to being in with the incrowd, which isn't what my experience of bushcraft as it's now known is all about... :(

I think the guy has it pretty much spot on and is just being honest.

Si

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh, no.

Kit's fun, whether it's a £5 swiss army stove or a modded £3 drainer from Ikea or a £70 ti set up. Folks don't judge on your kit, in fact they're more interested to see what you have, or have made, than what you spent on it.

Besides, kit's only part of the whole thing. Doing stuff, any kind of relevant stuff, is the best bit.

£2k of equipment ? Fine, if you want, fine if you don't. If your hobby and personal financial situation allows, do as you choose, it's not my place to tell you that you're not being a 'proper' bushcrafter, anymore than it is my place to proscribe the activities that you participate in.

That said, I have to say that I have seen some brilliant set ups that were totally wombled, with great success :D total outlay virtually nought, but satisfaction = priceless :D

I think we could pay a little more heed to seasonality, and maybe widen the base of our craft skills, to good effect though.

cheers,
Toddy

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Eh, no.

Kit's fun, whether it's a £5 swiss army stove or a modded £3 drainer from Ikea or a £70 ti set up. Folks don't judge on your kit, in fact they're more interested to see what you have, or have made, than what you spent on it.

Hehehe, yeah. :)

SI

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Does a hammock need to cost £200, a sleeping bag the same?Si

But I sleep so much better than the rif-raff on the floor :)

I personally spend a little bit more as I know it will last, does as intended and can/will be passed onto the kid one day.
The one thing you will find in this hobby is lightening your kit starts to cost.

I've spent money in every pass time, I don't see why this one should be any different. It gives me great pleasure.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Good for you, good for you. :)

I imagine lightening the load does cost, considerably in some cases, but all good for those 20k treks into the wilderness eh. ;)

Cool :cool:

Si

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
5 or 6 miles does me... I'm into wild camping, not hillwalking.

Last time I checked, this is a bushcraft site (with quite a few hill-walkers too) :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I think that the blog post has a lot of good points.

I used to hold the view that all of the kit and skills training and practice, forum discussions etc had to lead to something... Let's say you go and equip yourself for temperate woodland, go and do a few courses and then get out for some weekends practicing the skills you have learnt etc... You're aiming for a trip or journey somewhere to implement those skills etc hiking across the Hardangervidda or something ...

My view has changed in that for some (not all) the: kit, skills acquisition, practice etc is the end journey and TBH there is nothing wrong with that. "Bushcraft" has become a catch all moniker that covers a diverse range of topics + skills etc.

So it seems spending time tracking with the San Bushmen is as much 'bushcraft' as sitting 200m from the car drinking a few tinnies with your mates around a camp fire wearing a Swanndri...

I have thought that perhaps as "Bushcraft" encompasses more it actually means less.

In reality none of this really matters. Someone less verbose than me succinctly said that we don't need "bushcraft" to live our lives it's basically just a hobby.

I think this view is pretty accurate. I think some folk are wrapped pretty tight about the whole thing but forums etc actually feed that to a degree being relatively benign, faceless etc...

Folk do what they do.

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Yes he has a point but who is he to tell me what I can and can't do and what kit I take into the wilderness. At the end of the day we are one big family who came together because of our love of nature and the ability to live in it and be happy there. Not to go out on mass adventures and what not cos otherwise it would be called adventurecraft

So with this in mind if I want to sit round a fire with my good buds which some of you most defiantly are why can't I and sod any one else's opinion cos well I am not doing anything illegal and I am not hurting anyone so why not. And in regards money all I will say is

He who pays make is choice

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE